Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear brake leak?

Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear brake leak?

Hello fellas,

I was just under my JKU and seen leakage from the passanger side rear brake area. I'm not to familiar with my Jeep yet so has anyone had this issue? I need to fix this for a Big bear run Sunday so any help will be appreciated. ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	623585
Old 09-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That looks more like a rear axle seal leaking than the brakes. I've not been into my rear axle too far so I can't give you further direction on where to look.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Both my buddy and I had gears installed and he had a front axle seal leak as well. The shop took care of his so now I'll call them tomorrow to see if they'll take care of mine too! I don't think it's a coincidence.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my rear seal started leaking

yesterday i saw this , made a appointment for next week . it seems pretty rampid
on jeeps lately . mine never sees abuse so its obviously poor quality seals they use
its warranty work but still not what you like to see . I replaced rotors and em brake kit and it has diff fluid all on it now . im not sure if they will need to be replaced now all gummed up with grease , on em brake pads - 35,000 miles on my jeep.

Yould have to remove tire , remove caliper, 16mm bolts pull off the rotor /drum. and look behind your emergency brake assembly youl most likely see it coming out around there, on to back plate its not a easy fix , dealers say a few hours at least the axle will need to come out and things cut to even get at the seal.

Last edited by jeepmojo; 09-03-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mojo- I abuse and have 122k miles....No leaks. I don't think it's "poor quality" from the factory, potentially linked more to debris and/ or overfilled diffs.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just made the appointment to have the seal replaced. Turns out that the axle seals are part of the 5year 100k drivetrain warranty just incase no one knew. Thanks
Old 09-03-2015, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 12 passenger rear began leaking at 24k. I'm anal and clean and wax the inside of my wheels and started noticing a greasy film. Took it to the dealer early on and because it was so clean they said there was no problem. Progressively got worse and finally on a rainy day you could really see oil on the inside of the rim so I went straight there. They replaced it under warranty but by then my pads were shot. They cleaned everything but wanted to charge me to replace pads. No way was I paying! I ended up doing them myself.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by joe12jk
My 12 passenger rear began leaking at 24k. I'm anal and clean and wax the inside of my wheels and started noticing a greasy film. Took it to the dealer early on and because it was so clean they said there was no problem. Progressively got worse and finally on a rainy day you could really see oil on the inside of the rim so I went straight there. They replaced it under warranty but by then my pads were shot. They cleaned everything but wanted to charge me to replace pads. No way was I paying! I ended up doing them myself.
Wax inside of wheels........oh man
Old 09-06-2015, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Wax inside of wheels........oh man
Yep ... I like keeping it clean. I wax the whole truck maybe 4 times a year. Makes blowing off the water after washes with my backpack blower easy!! Ha
Old 09-06-2015, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default my rear axle isnt over filled but

i wouldnt say it dosent see road salt , its weeping out . slow right now
hope to get it fixed tuesday

Last edited by jeepmojo; 09-06-2015 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear brake leak?