Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rear brake froze up?

Old 07-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick_Good
Could be frozen slides, piston collapsed hose, many things. My money is on frozen slides.
X2 most often missed routine is thoroughly cleaning and lubing the slides. Next I would think frozen P-brake especially if it is hardly ever used.
By the way...don't ever count on a P-brake working as an E-brake as most people call it
You'll end up on a web video that will be around for a thousand years
Old 07-07-2013, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles

X2 most often missed routine is thoroughly cleaning and lubing the slides. Next I would think frozen P-brake especially if it is hardly ever used.
By the way...don't ever count on a P-brake working as an E-brake as most people call it
You'll end up on a web video that will be around for a thousand years
Thanks for the input everyone.

It is kind of funny when this stuff happens with the jeep, I get all pissed that it happens.
Ripp the jeep apart, swear, buy a few new tools or parts, swear,....check the forum for help,.... Fix it and say "that was pretty cool, I learned something new about the jeep"
Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you're right on learning something new. Lesson 1, troubleshooting at night, bad idea. Working on hot brakes, bad idea. Taking a deep breath and waiting for awhile, good idea. As was said, jack it up, take the wheel off, try turning the hub, eliminate each suggested item one by one. My bet, a frozen caliper. You may now need a new rotor (overheated/warped) OR new e brake shoes, and/or new brake pads. Regardless of what you find and replace, be sure you clean and lube the pad slides. Did you replace the little shiny slides? Did you use OEM pads? I put a brake thread on the forum awhile back. The little shiny sliders have a small difference and should be installed the way they were removed. If you didn't get new ones, the old ones can be reused. I'll try and send the thread. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the slider, rubber boot kit thread. https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...2/#post3214755
Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

My money is on a sticking caliper. I've had it happen on 4 different occasions, and each time the caliper never totally froze up. After leaving the Jeep sit for a while, it would be fine.

In the last month, I've replaced all 4 calipers, hoses, pads, and rotors.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rainmn
My money is on a sticking caliper. I've had it happen on 4 different occasions, and each time the caliper never totally froze up. After leaving the Jeep sit for a while, it would be fine.

In the last month, I've replaced all 4 calipers, hoses, pads, and rotors.
Ceased caliper, brake pads and rotors were in great condition.

Spent less then $55 for caliper, brake cleaner spray, grease, and brake fluid. Job is done!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

So...how do you exactly "thoroughly clean and lube the slides"?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blazer4949
So...how do you exactly "thoroughly clean and lube the slides"?
The caliper came with new sliders and boots, otherwise if you want to clean the existing ones I guess you can take your calipers off, pull the sliders off wipe them and re grease.... Simple.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Bleeding brake line

Hi All..I just had my back right caliper freeze up on me after a brake pad change. My question is, when replacing the caliper and bleeding the brake line, do you have to bleed all four tire's brake lines, or only the caliper you're replacing?
Old 07-21-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

You can do just one but you'll usually get a better pedal from doing all 4.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quick Reply: Rear brake froze up?