Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Reading here makes it hard to buy a JK

Old 01-19-2009, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's got to be the girls that do not offroad that make these statements.

PS; I guess Chrysler should listen, as I do listen to my wife.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adventure
After reading all the gripes about the JK:

horrible plastic interior
shoddy paint job
Low power or inconsitent power delivered from engine
Roof leaks

and even the 07 2d Sahara I drove last saturday had a few things wrong with it...

right rear Tail lights didn't work, turn signal on right side didn't work, and when I engaged the clutch you could hear a metalic clank from the outside of the Jeep.

After the joy ride I was still smitten with the Wrangler.

the only reason I'm not going to look for a used TJ is that I love the looks of the JK, and I want a brand new jeep for the warrenty and such.

am I over reacting?
The interior is plastic, but I think it is MUCH nicer than a TJ interior, and I actually love the design on the dash and center console. Its plastic, but all vehicles use snap together plastic interior nowadays. It is consistent with all of the other vehicles in the same price range IMHO.

As for the paint, mine has been fine, albeit I only have 2500 miles on my 08.

For power delivery on the engine, mine is still stock, but I have no issue with it. To be frank, I think most people on here complain about the power, but then drive them like they drove thier old TJs, and refuse to rev it past 3500 RPM. The power is there when I need it, because I know how to use the pedal on the right.

And for roof leaks, I have read a lot about roof leaks, but my 08 doesnt have any. Ive even pressure washed it directly on the edges of the soft top and not had a single leak. Again, I only have 2500 miles, so maybe it will change.

The first vehicle I test drove had some issues, like the drivers taillight was out and the signal was going out. With so few miles, it probably had a bad ground, and my brother suspects it was damaged during shipping and fixed by the dealer. I just kept looking until I found one without any issues, which ended up being the 2nd one I looked at.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

I say get the JK and work through any issues that might pop up. I haven't had one vehicle I didn't have a problem with at least one thing. Most of the bugs were in 07 models. Not to say you won't see any in an 08 or 09 but the big ones have been addressed for the most part. Sure you will still see some people getting rid of them under the lemon law, but you see that with almost every other brand as well.

Besides, the fun factor is unbeatable.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Wink

I loved my '03 TJ but my '07 Rubicon Unlimited rocks, compared to it.

I only had 2 serious issues with it and both were fixed Promptly. One was a torque converter replacement and the other was a bad fuel level sending unit. 3 days total lost time at a unionized dealership.

Yes my freedom tops leaked during the first rain, I removed and re-seated them and never had a problem since. The soft top has never been a problem at all.

The paint is flawless and the interior trim is easy to clean and take care of. Lets face it, it's not a luxury vehicle. it's a sport-ute!!

As for the power, I have no problem with it weather off-roading, or pulling a 2500 pound camper. It's all good

And finally: jeepguyinMS I agree totally, the fun factor is Great!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Overreacting! If you go to any forum on any new cars there are going to be people who have problems with their vehicles. The bottom line is a Jeep is more fun than any other vehicle you can buy. Sure, Jeeps are noisy, rattle, leak, ride rough and lots of other cool things. If you want something that is perfect and does none of the above......pop for a Bentley. Get the Jeep and some sunglasses!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my jeep has all kinds of issues.. so I lemon lawed it...

and am getting another JK! cant beat the FunPerGallon Factor!
-Christopher
Old 02-14-2009, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess many people here are suffering from bugs common in the first production run of a completely new design. Most manufacturers suffer from this nowadays due to the complexity of new vehicles (even the reliable Japanese; Toyota recently announced a huge worldwide recall, and new Mercedes vehicles are becoming notorious for electronic and suspension issues).

I was strongly advised by some mechanic buddys to delay my purchase of the new JK for at least a year or so until they had worked out the inevitable bugs and done the TSB's, recalls, computer re-flashes, etc as it was a completely new vehicle from the ground up including engines and transmissions and was virtually garunteed to have design oversights.

I'm glad I listened, waiting until December '08 to buy my RHD Sept '08 build JK. Haven't had one single issue with it, even though I drive it hard on & off the trails and have given it considerable abuse (bogging it in deep water half way up the dash for example. Popped the drain plugs, dried it out, good as new. Checked all the fluids for water contamination but all good).

Several of my buddys also have '08 JK's and report no issues whatsoever either. Meanwhile it seems many people had problems with their new '07 build JK's from day one.

I think another understandable attitude many people have is that "it's a Jeep; it's supposed to be tough & unbreakable". This may have been the case in days past with the CJ's, but modern Wranglers are pretty complex vehicles with loads of computers and electronics and creature comforts compared with the old ones, so in some ways are more delicate.

I guess it's a trade off between cost & quality. Wranglers are pretty cheap for what you get. My boss spent a fortune on his Mercedes ML SUV & has had nothing but trouble with it from day one, with it being at the dealer more than on the road.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Adventure
After reading all the gripes about the JK:

horrible plastic interior
shoddy paint job
Low power or inconsitent power delivered from engine
Roof leaks

and even the 07 2d Sahara I drove last saturday had a few things wrong with it...

right rear Tail lights didn't work, turn signal on right side didn't work, and when I engaged the clutch you could hear a metalic clank from the outside of the Jeep.

After the joy ride I was still smitten with the Wrangler.

the only reason I'm not going to look for a used TJ is that I love the looks of the JK, and I want a brand new jeep for the warrenty and such.

am I over reacting?
Most of us have just had small issues but some bigger but this is a forum and everyone vents and asks questions but I see where you would get a bad impression personally I love mine even with the small problems but not any dif than most other cars maybe we need to brag more.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Just a quick note on the "cheap" plastic interior.

Isn't that the whole point; to have a simple, durable interior that's easy to keep clean. If I get mud and water inside the cabin, I just pull the rubber drain plugs and hose the thing out, spraying the doors, console, seats, etc (I try to avoid direct water pressure on the dash though).

Other cars and 4WD's I've had with fancy, detailed interiors with cloth and carpet inserts, etc are a nightmare to keep clean & are easily stained or damaged by direct water contact, and switches often short out & need replacement.

I've had water up the doors and washing over the console of my JK & never had an electrical issue; inspected the components to be sure & found that they're pretty well sealed and shielded (wouldn't fancy spraying water on the My Gig sat-nav though!)
Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree...I love the plastic interior. I surf quite a bit here in Florida. The salt air corrodes everything (cept plastic) and just gets a gritty, abrasive surface on everything. The plastic interior is GREAT, just wipe it down with some armor all and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: Reading here makes it hard to buy a JK