Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Reading here makes it hard to buy a JK

Old 04-17-2007, 01:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bim6180
i hear you ... but even with some problem on JK, i wouldn't get FJ.. no matter how big the engine is...that thing is as ugly as..... never mind...it's undescribable
"Tonka Toy" was the descriptor you were looking for
Old 04-17-2007, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by edubreuil
So if Mercedes made in Germany are "Wonders" and ones built in the US are "crap", then I gues that US workers are the problem...
My 90 VW Passat was the worst vehicle I've ever owned (German built) and my recent toyotas and hondas were all built here and are fantastic. I think it is corporate management philosophy rather than the guys on the factory floor.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'd say you seem to be over-reacting.

I wondered if we would regret purchasing a JK in the first year of production. But, despite an extremely unusual situation (water in the gasoline) that our dealership repeatedly mis-identified for 35 consecutive days, we are still extremely happy with our Jeep Green 4-door Wrangler Unlimited X.

I've read most of the other reported issues with JK's on this Board and several other JK forums. Nonetheless, we would still purchase another JK without much thought. In fact, my wife, who drives a TJ, is very envious of my JK and wants to get a 4-door JK herself when we decide to retire her TJ.

I don't know, it may simply be that Jeep owners identify a lot more with their Jeeps and communicate a great deal to other owners compared to the other most popular vehicles. Are you aware of any website forums for any brand of minivan, or Honda Accords, or Toyota Camrys, Ford F-150s, etc.?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by skibum
Absolutely correct......nothing is perfect. But from what I've seen looking at Toyota FJ forums, there don't seem to be as many big issues (# of vehicles with the problems) and nobody seems to be getting blown off by Toyota. Just my .02 Still don't really want an FJ though. Maybe and FJ and a sawzall?
Maybe some are getting blown off by Toyota...couple of weeks ago I checked out an FJ Cruiser forum just for kicks...if you didn't see the FJ at the top of the page, you would have thought you were right at home! Thread after thread about cheap windshields that broke too easily, what was Toyota going to do about it, paint chipping off, engine acting up, crappy gas mileage, shifting problems, both manual and auto, etc. A lot of the posters weren't too happy with the way Toyota was dealing with their concerns...I know the posts on these forums represent a very small portion of the owners, but it doesn't matter what vehicle you buy these days, there are going to be issues. There is no vehicle like a top down Jeep, and the JK is definitely the best yet.

glwood
Old 04-17-2007, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

It sounds like you have done your research, I will gladly recomend the JK to anyone. I sold my 2006 Pathfinder, and my built up Cherokee to get my unlimited X. Best choice that I've made. My entire family (wife and three boys) have truly enjoyed it.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:52 AM
JK Freak

SKIBUM, Where did you get your red & black ttruck box?? and are you happy with it??
thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 04:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by captsam54
SKIBUM, Where did you get your red & black ttruck box?? and are you happy with it??
thanks
Wallyworld automotive section. Under $20.00 if I remember right. Basically its just a big cooler looking thing, but it has a lockable latching system and is black, grey and red (just like my Jeep ). If I ever get the "cargo tie-down loops" that my buildsheet says I'm suppossed to have I might even figure out a way to hold it down . And yes, I am happy with it.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:28 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RenoosRemoob
Yeah, I'd say you seem to be over-reacting.

I wondered if we would regret purchasing a JK in the first year of production. But, despite an extremely unusual situation (water in the gasoline) that our dealership repeatedly mis-identified for 35 consecutive days, we are still extremely happy with our Jeep Green 4-door Wrangler Unlimited X.

I've read most of the other reported issues with JK's on this Board and several other JK forums. Nonetheless, we would still purchase another JK without much thought. In fact, my wife, who drives a TJ, is very envious of my JK and wants to get a 4-door JK herself when we decide to retire her TJ.

I don't know, it may simply be that Jeep owners identify a lot more with their Jeeps and communicate a great deal to other owners compared to the other most popular vehicles. Are you aware of any website forums for any brand of minivan, or Honda Accords, or Toyota Camrys, Ford F-150s, etc.?
Yes. F150 Online :toung:

I think you may be overreacting, or not really considering what you are reading here in it's truest context.

there are forums somewhere for just about anything you can think of. I was/am a member of F150 Online. An yes, there are problems with every vehicle, and forums are just a centralized bitch session. It distills alot of scattered problems down to one area and skews the public perception of the severity of the problem, or the rate of occurance of the problem, however you wish to say it.

Do these problems exist? - Absolutely.
Does everyone have them? - Absolutely not.
Does everyone that has the problems have all of the problems? - Absolutely not.
Do people overreact to them? - Some do, some dont. That would skew the way/amount they post about them.

Everyone that is bitching owns a JK (for the most part).
Only a small percentage of the people here are reporting these problems.
Of those that are here and dont post, They may have them and not post, or not have them and not post - who knows?
Not everyone that owns a JK is a member, or is even aware this site exists.

Therefor the number of problems compared to the number of JK's sold is very misleading.

If you purchase a JK will you have these problems? - Maybe. Then again maybe not.
If you purchase any new vehicle will you have problems? - YES. There are always problems, sooner or later, with every machine. Perception/personnal opinon i think is the key here.

Personally i believe the hood lifting, missing paint, stalling, dents, crappy plastic etc. are serious and valid complaints from people who spent their hard earned money on a brand new vehicle. these problems shouldnt happen (IMHO) on a new vehicle, or if they do they should be remedied immediately by DC. I wouldnt expect a used car to be free of defects, but i damned sure expect a brand new one with 2 miles on it to be free of manufacturing defects. No matter what i paid for it. 25K or 90K; it shouldnt be broken when i buy it.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 04-18-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

EVERY car has inherent problems. Especially specialty vehicles. Before I bought the 4-door JK, I owned one of the retro Thunderbirds. I loved that car. Over all it was quite well designed. Here were the complaints about that car:

1. Hood was fiberglass, and rocks chipped and dinged it easily.
2. Hard top squeeked and scratched paint where rubber seal sat on the rear deck.
3. porthole window trim rattled when going over 40mph - very annoying!
4. seats couldn't go back far enough to make it comfortable for people taller than 5'9"
5. Trunk was too small, even for most sets of golf clubs. No room in vehicle for any storage.
6. It only came with an auto-transmission - no 6-speed manual.
7. Tiny V8 - 3.8 liter, but it was pretty quick - could have been quicker though.
8. Aluminum trim pieces dented and scratched very easily
9. Hardly any aftermarket accessories available.
10. Hardtop whistled.
11. Stock brake roters couldn't be resurfaced.
12. Coil packs were notorious for failing.
13. Mine developed a "mystery" stall-bug after 35,000 miles - of course not covered by waranty

However, overall I loved that T-bird!
Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by skibum
Wallyworld automotive section. Under $20.00 if I remember right. Basically its just a big cooler looking thing, but it has a lockable latching system and is black, grey and red (just like my Jeep ). If I ever get the "cargo tie-down loops" that my buildsheet says I'm suppossed to have I might even figure out a way to hold it down . And yes, I am happy with it.
Thanks.. will go see if they have one for my red JK.. Could you also do me a favor..? I have been following the threads about the hood jumping etc. and starting noticing that mine is also missing hood bumpers, tie downs, and no hood light etc. Could /do you have the part #'s for these and maybe what else is missing so I can go to my dealer and ask for them?? maybe DEMAND THEM..!!
well sounded good.. Worth a try.. Thanks, Sam

Quick Reply: Reading here makes it hard to buy a JK