Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Reading here makes it hard to buy a JK

Old 04-17-2007, 04:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Reading here makes it hard to buy a JK

After reading all the gripes about the JK:

horrible plastic interior
shoddy paint job
Low power or inconsitent power delivered from engine
Roof leaks

and even the 07 2d Sahara I drove last saturday had a few things wrong with it...

right rear Tail lights didn't work, turn signal on right side didn't work, and when I engaged the clutch you could hear a metalic clank from the outside of the Jeep.

After the joy ride I was still smitten with the Wrangler.

the only reason I'm not going to look for a used TJ is that I love the looks of the JK, and I want a brand new jeep for the warrenty and such.

am I over reacting?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adventure
shoddy paint job
Roof leaks
horrible plastic interior: Yup, i apparently ordered that option as well.
shoddy paint job: My paint is perfect.
Low power or inconsitent power delivered from engine: I have said before, i am coming from an F150, but to me this JK has more power than that truck had, and more than i can fathom needing. I am thrilled with it. it is actually a bit to fast for me and my lead foot. I had an interceptor, sold it and bought a dirtbike. I could have bought any car i really wanted (GT Mustang first pick) but i chose the Jeep. I always wanted one, and it would force me to slow down, just like opting down on my bike. Plus it is better off road
Roof leaks; I have the soft top only, after reseating it from the daeler i haven't had any leaks.

I am not sorry i bought it, yes it has a few problems, and that sux. However, if they would fix the plastic and the stall problem and i would be 100% happy, instead of just 98%.

YMMV.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 04-17-2007 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Adventure
After reading all the gripes about the JK:

shoddy paint job
Roof leaks
am I over reacting?
I think so. At least, what you describe above hasn't been my experience at all. But, I've only had mine for a month.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
horrible plastic interior: Yup, i apparently ordered that option as well.
shoddy paint job: My paint is perfect.
Low power or inconsitent power delivered from engine: I have said before, i am coming from an F150, but to me this JK has more power than that truck had, and more than i can fathom needing. I am thrilled with it. it is actually a bit to fast for me and my lead foot. I had an interceptor, sold it and bought a dirtbike. I could have bought any car i really wanted (GT Mustang first pick) but i chose the Jeep. I always wanted one, and it would force me to slow down, just like opting down on my bike. Plus it is better of road
Roof leaks; I have the soft top only, after reseating it from the daeler i haven't had any leaks.

I am not sorry i bought it, yes it has a few problems, and that sux. However, if they would fix the plastic and the stall problem and i would be 100% happy, instead of just 98%.

YMMV.

Yes the Jeep is a vehicle I am persuing because I've wanted one all my life, AND I need to slow down!

What's this stall problem on an Automatic?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:00 AM
Eternal ***erator

I was refering to the STALL BUG THREAD that some are experiencing. It is not just the auto, the standard is doing it as well. There is a TSB flash out for it (which i did have done) but mine is still doing it.

Basically, the whole thing shuts down for a split second, idiot lights come on, engine dies, radio dies, then it pops back on... most of the time.

Click the above link for more in depth info.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

stall bug was seen by early production vehicle... as in last year

mine as well as numerous other i have run into have had no problem as far back as december builds. Mine was a january build, no issues... aside from the clunking in the drivers door. Relocated the striker plate and it is quieter, but still there. Aside from that, no issues of mention.

if you dont want to take the chance, wait till 2008. I am sure most, if not all of the gripes of 07 will be delt with by then. But on the otherhand, you will have a jeep you can drive... thats it...

personally, i like fixing the little things. It gives me something to do... that is productive. If yours doesnt have any minor issues, you will be taking stuff apart and trying to fix stuff that aint broke!

go with a hummer... j/k
Old 04-17-2007, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

hummers are gross, unless it's an H1.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

We've had tons of discussions on this.

I have an early production JK, it was built mid october of 2006. I've had it stall twice, had the update done. No problems in the last 4,000 miles..

I have no ESP issues even with my 3" lift.

Paint missing? just a tab under the cowl. A good friend of mine owns a body shop. He says every vehicle made has paint issues. Its there if you look for it. the JK also has a 10 year rust warranty. In 10 years its going to be a trail rig..

My roof has never leaked, its a soft top.

I really think the issues are being worked out. For as many members as our site has, its really not a high number of guys having issues.

All new vehicles have issues. If you read the message boards on them. I'm sure something will come up.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the stall problem also on my 2 door. Mine was an early build in September. The computer flash fixed the problems. My 4 door has the dual top, no leaks even in the pouring rain. The auto is a fine, a little under powered compared to the stick off the line, but I hardly use 1st gear on the stick anyways, it's to low for on the road. I like them both, though I need to play some more off road with the 4 door auto.

Ron
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Piginajeep
[snip]

In 10 years its going to be a trail rig..

[snip]
In 10 years... i hope i have passed this one on down to a kidlet, and i have a Rubi.

Quick Reply: Reading here makes it hard to buy a JK