Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Is re-painting new Mopar Parts Necessary?

Old 03-12-2016, 03:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is re-painting new Mopar Parts Necessary?

Hi Everyone,

I have recently read on the web in a couple of posts that OEM parts are painted with little or no primer and use inferior paint.

My gas tank skid plate is completely rusted through on my 2008 Wrangler. Therefore I am buying a new OEM Mopar replacement.

I saw this post discussing that particular repair procedure: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...write-up-6634/

My question is - - - should I take the time to strip (or just rough up) the Mopar paint and repaint this with quality primer and paint?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Jim
Old 03-12-2016, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all my rust spots seem to be starting arround the spot welds and overlaps. i would at least hit those up.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense, but why would you replace it with a new mopar "skid"? Unless you get an amazing deal, quadratec has a new one listed for a little over $400... I would just take it off and repaint it to prevent further rust and put an aftermarket skid over it at half the cost.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had similar thoughts...

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
No offense, but why would you replace it with a new mopar "skid"? Unless you get an amazing deal, quadratec has a new one listed for a little over $400... I would just take it off and repaint it to prevent further rust and put an aftermarket skid over it at half the cost.
Hi Chuck,

I had exactly the same thought until I crawled under the Jeep and saw it is rusted all the way through in two places and when I remove it it will fall apart.

I found the same part at Quadratec and searched for the Mopar number and found it for $289. As as expensive as that is I don't have much of a choice. I don't have welding equipment. Trying to find a welder in my area who would weld this is virtually impossible.

So I will strip it and paint it as suggested / implied by shabbernigdo.

Thanks and Best wishes to both of you

Jim

Quick Reply: Is re-painting new Mopar Parts Necessary?