Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Re-mount stock rear bumper - what am I doing wrong?

Old 02-12-2020, 11:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re-mount stock rear bumper - what am I doing wrong?

Cheers everyone,

today I fixed my broken fog light and the broken rear bumper. Bought a used bumper, but it looks identical to the old one.
When trying to put it back on there was a huge gap between the brackets on the sides and the chassis mounting holes.
So I loosened the bracket at the bumper and pulled it heavily to align it with the holes. Tightened it all up, but there is still a gap between the bumper and the fender flare.
Am I missing something? Or what is the trick to do it? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2020, 02:20 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you have any pictures? I recall there being some wiggle room in those mounts to adjust the fit.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 AM
JK Newbie

I hope it works:

As I tried to describe, there is no "room" to wiggle, it sits tight against the rear "bar", but at the side there's approx. 0.5"-1" missing towards the chassis mounting holes. So like I did it now, the whole bumper is under high tension, being pulled towards the fenders.
But I don't know how to change that?!
What I found out when comparing to "stock" photos of other Jeeps: it sits quite high compared to the fenders. So today I will try to loosen the bolts and "pull" it downwards a bit and hope that this tilting will get it into place...
Old 02-13-2020, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Thats normal To have a gap.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:41 PM
JK Newbie

Really?
Oh dear, and I've been feddling around for 2 hours.
I checked some pictures of other Jeeps, but it seemed they don't have a gap there.
At first I though the wiring of the trailer coupling would be the cause, running between the bumper and the steel bar there. But it doesn't.
Thanks a lot for your help!

Quick Reply: Re-mount stock rear bumper - what am I doing wrong?