Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattling my mind A pillar or dash

Old 07-20-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rattling my mind A pillar or dash

Hey all, I have a momentary rattle or click/tap noise in my passenger side area right around the "A" pillar or back corner of the dash. It occurs when there is structural load on the tub of the jeep either turning, speed bump" low speed" or rapid acceleration or deceleration. I will be pulling the pillar and dash " hopefully Not" out later this evening and didn't know if any other JK Forum members have experienced this issue or have tips on trim removal.

Thank you.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 JK S. I have a noise/rattle coming out of same place. I have passenger give the a-pillar a gentle smack and it goes away for a while.

It's annoying, and I may do a little tightening of the screws, etc.

However, I suspect that you wouldn't be posting if it was the same problem. I seem to remember somewhere in the interweb there is some sort of deal with a structural thing in or around the a-pillar.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

Can you take a video of the sound?
Old 07-26-2015, 01:35 AM
JK Junkie

Default Rattling my mind A pillar or dash

Check the windshield hinge plate. You'll have to remove it but look for shiny or worn paint spots on the backside of that plate. I have seen several with that click or pop.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Was the windshield hinge plate. Thank you for the advice, I found most of them were looses during the install of some lights

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3814010351.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	619385
Old 07-30-2015, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rescue7
Was the windshield hinge plate. Thank you for the advice, I found most of them were looses during the install of some lights

Attachment 619385
Did it go away after tightening them down? I do not have lights installed there but I have that exact same sound. At first I thought it was the antenna and did find that a bit loose so tightened it but the sound still seems to be there.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZebraJacket99
Did it go away after tightening them down? I do not have lights installed there but I have that exact same sound. At first I thought it was the antenna and did find that a bit loose so tightened it but the sound still seems to be there.
Actually no it was the the curved piece between the cowl and the fender. It bolts up behind the windshield plate. I sat on the hood while my girl drove around in a field and just started taking parts off till we found it. I put some thins adhesive weatherstripping behind where the plate bolts under the cover and it has completely stopped. I'll take pics later

Quick Reply: Rattling my mind A pillar or dash