Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle When the Fan is Blowing

Old 09-15-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle When the Fan is Blowing

So within the last couple weeks or so whenever i turn the fan on (A.C. or no A.C. doesn't seem to matter) there is a constant low rattle like when you get a leaf stuck in the vent somewhere....it's been my experience with a leaf that it's usually as simple as cranking the fan up to full blast to blow it out or dislodge it or clean the intake both pretty simple solutions, however no dice it seems for me.....it does it at low speed and at high speed and every speed in between pretty consistently which makes me wonder if it is in fact something mechanical that has loosened like the fan itself or something....anyone have any thoughts or had this happen to them and have a solution or know where the fan and motor is located to i can check to see if something is loose there.....it doesn't bother me all that much for every day short trips but i'm getting ready to go down to disney in a couple weeks for a much needed vacation with the family and i can't imagine listening to this for 12 hours straight i should probably mention that i can count on one hand the number of times i've used the A.C. and that this showed up after time number 5 when using it on a trip down to myrtle beach and the temperature was too miserable and humid to deal with....also it's never parked under trees or anything since my house doesn't have any nor does my place of work where i park which makes me think it is something more than a leaf in the system.....appreciate any help.....
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude mine is doing the same thing right now.I finally used the ac again the other day because it has been storming down here. Sounds just like you said a leaf. I can't find any and it gets louder or more noticeable the faster I go. A lot of humidity down here so I don't know if that means anything. Pain in the ass, just when I fixed my door clunk and dash rattle now this. Any help would be appreciated too.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jason0341
Dude mine is doing the same thing right now.I finally used the ac again the other day because it has been storming down here. Sounds just like you said a leaf. I can't find any and it gets louder or more noticeable the faster I go. A lot of humidity down here so I don't know if that means anything. Pain in the ass, just when I fixed my door clunk and dash rattle now this. Any help would be appreciated too.
interesting....mine doesn't seem to be related to the speed that i'm traveling but it does get louder the higher i turn the fan up which makes sense and makes me think it is something mechanical and not a leaf....the sound is constant too, not erratic or only when i turn it up like a leaf would be....
Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

sometimes my heater fan sounds like an old wheel bearing but whenever i take it to the dealership it is quiet. I have another buddy with a JK with some heater fan noises as well
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Keep me updated man.I don't plan on bringing mine in since I don't have much time this week to go over there and wait.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

check behind the glove box i had a napkin that fell behind the box and got sucked up against the intake for the fan, hope this helps
Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BAJA2
check behind the glove box i had a napkin that fell behind the box and got sucked up against the intake for the fan, hope this helps

that's actually a really good idea....i'll have to check that at lunch because i have definitely had things in the glove box get pushed out of the backside of the glove box before when cramming stuff in there....
Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I checked behind mine no luck, nothing in there or blocking anything. Any luck jkjeremy?
Old 09-16-2009, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

pulled the glove box and checked mine at lunch yesterday...nothing that i could see, but i did touch, poke, prod and generally molest everything up under there a bit and the rattle went away yesterday after doing that so i think that confirms that something is just a little loose, but not sure what exactly....this morning it was doing it again but not nearly as loud and bearable for the moment....hopefully this weekend i can take a better look at things with some tools in hand and see if i can' determine what's loose so basically the diagnosis for the moment is my jeep has a few screws loose methinks
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same thing happen in my Patriot. Was a leaf stuck in the fan. Removed the glove box and pulled it out. Can almost guarantee there's something paper-like in there flapping around.

Quick Reply: Rattle When the Fan is Blowing