Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 06-25-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't mean to doubt you, but did you try the tape on the door striker? I swore up and down it was something in the pillar. I thought I would give the tape a try on the part of the striker the latch grabs. It has since been as quiet as a brand new luxury car. I put it on all 5 door strikers. Going over bumps, passengers have said "This Jeep is pretty solid".
Can you post some pics of this please. Mine is rattling the doors too. Its not the B pillars. I know 100% it is the doors. What kind of tape did you use?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DZNTS
Can you post some pics of this please. Mine is rattling the doors too. Its not the B pillars. I know 100% it is the doors. What kind of tape did you use?
I used black plastic electrical tape.
Looking at the striker bar on the B-pillar, put a few wraps around the leg closest to you. It is the part the door latch grabs to secure the door.
I can't post pictures yet. Sorry.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem was definately NOT the doors, it was high in the pillar above the seat belt retractor. Happened on both sides but the driver's side more often.

Well...

I figure I will try this anyway...so I wrapped electrical tape around the striker ( just take a 3 inch piece of tape and wrap it around the metal striker where the door latch touches the striker...yes... as easy as it sounds ). I did this on all 4 strikers.

The noise that could not possibly come from my doors because of the location it was coming from has miraculously dissapeared. I threw the remainder of the roll in the center console to re apply if the noise returns.

If you think it is not your doors it takes about 1 minute to do 4 doors... takes nothing to try it out and it may work for you.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
JK Newbie

Smile

I was on here and I saw that someone gave an awesome 'Electric Tape' fix.. Just apply it to the Striker..... (be sure not to apply too much)... My '08 Sahara is Completely quiet....

I was skeptical but ----- WOW -- It really worked..
Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Same issue here: noise in driver's seat-belt area - assume it's not the latch - but...

There's just too many electrical tape success stories. I'll give it a shot and post up after the holiday weekend. I'll get some washboard roads, rock crawl'n and highway miles.

I've never been so excited to get some electrical tape.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

As stated a while ago, I did the tape fix. I still love how quiet my JK is when on the bumpy roads around town. Off road, it's quiet, too, but I appreciate more in town.
For all the doubters, Come on!! Give it a try!
I don't know who first tried it, but I want to say Thank You
Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
As stated a while ago, I did the tape fix. I still love how quiet my JK is when on the bumpy roads around town. Off road, it's quiet, too, but I appreciate more in town.
For all the doubters, Come on!! Give it a try!
I don't know who first tried it, but I want to say Thank You
OK... you talked me into it. I guess I'll have to stop by Home Depot on the way home and pick up a roll.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

It has been a month since I put the tape on the driver side front door striker. I am in piece again with my jeep!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

It definitely works I don't know who came up with the idea but i really want to thank the guy who first came up with this. It took me about two minutes to do all four doors and the clunk is completely gone. Count me in as a believer !!!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And it worked for me too. Cant believe the tape fix now i have a quite cabin

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar