Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 06-12-2008, 01:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the believers, and for not fearing on spending $0.99 for a fix, that enginnering can't fix yet.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far ro fix all sorts of rattles I have...

Removed the plastic panel where the seat belt is and linedthe corners (where it attaches to the metal on the inside of the door frame from top to bottom with foam tape. I also put foam tape on the seat belt track (where you can adjust the height of the belt up or down) only put the tape on one side to eliminate any play that the seat belt adjustor has on that track.

Also put electrial tape on the driver and passengers door latches. Squeeking noise that I thought was coming from the dash on the pass side was actually the passengers front seat. For now I just repositioned it and it seems to have gone away.

Also removed the spring from my hood.

Antenna was loose and would not stay tight, so I removed it and put some teflon tape around the threads and tightened it back up...no more noise there.

Just have to figure out how to secure the sunrider latches (when the top is down which is almost all the time) cuz they rattle also. And after that I should be have everything covered.

Never had to fix so many rattles, squeeks etc on a vehicle with 1200 miles that I only have had for 3 weeks.

Whatever it keeps me busy..I guess it is just a jeep thing.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, I just applied the tape to mine, let's see if it works. I also had a rattle comming from the plastic covering on the pilar, I just used some weather stripping between it and the metal to prevent it banging.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fearney
Alright, I just applied the tape to mine, let's see if it works. I also had a rattle comming from the plastic covering on the pilar, I just used some weather stripping between it and the metal to prevent it banging.

thats exactly what i did, except I went all the way down...I also used that on the track where the seat belt adjusts up/down..I noticed that the seat belt was also part of the rattle. So far so good.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Freak

OMG,

Guys, this aint a Lexus!

I know we all want a vehicule that drives nice, but lets not get out of hand. Next, we'll find some one who wants to see 70 db interior noise at 65 mph with the top down.

It's just not going to happen.

Yes, there are issues, but most are small, and personally, I'd rather have all the mechanicals function at 100% and the rattling that could get fixed later.

I wonder what's going to happen if those Jeeps ever hit the trails....

Enjoy the truck, take the top off, and put the music loud. You're not driving a Cadillac so don't try to make it one.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Big D2
OMG,

Guys, this aint a Lexus!

I know we all want a vehicule that drives nice, but lets not get out of hand. Next, we'll find some one who wants to see 70 db interior noise at 65 mph with the top down.

Yes, there are issues, but most are small, and personally, I'd rather have all the mechanicals function at 100% and the rattling that could get fixed later.

Enjoy the truck, take the top off, and put the music loud. You're not driving a Cadillac so don't try to make it one.
This kind of stuff is tinkering. Tinkering is fun; at least I think so. It's a chance to fix somethig without needing special tools or skills. It also gets us looking at places on the Jeep we would not ordinarily look. I have silenced a few rattles and clunks on mine. It enhances the joy of owning the Jeep.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-12-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big D2
OMG,

Guys, this aint a Lexus!

The top has been down about 90% of the time since I got my JK 6 weeks ago lol...I know it's not a lexus...but since my jeep runs just fine 100% and the rattling is so f'ing annoying why not spend 20 minutes of my time getting rid of it...If it doesn't bother you...then great I'm happy for you..but since it bothers everyone else that has posted in this thread...why not help each other locate the problem (since it seems to be the same in every jeep) and fix it quickly and easily?

You said you would "rather have the mechanicals function at 100% and the rattles that could get fixed later"

Anyone who has a JK should still be under warranty...so the mechanicals are up to the dealer to fix....and since my JK is new I guess now is "later"
Old 06-15-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever there's a problem there are always people saying "It's not a (name of high end vehicle), it's a Jeep".

I understand that and have even said it in the past about certain things but this vehicle is BRAND NEW and cost me 35,000 bucks. If they were selling Jeeps for $8000 brand new I would be able to over look alot. Just because "it's a Jeep" does not mean we should settle for a POS from the showroom floor. The top leaks...it's a Jeep, the doors rattle, it's a Jeep, it catches fire and burns to the ground, it's a Jeep.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got an 08 4dr Sahara and it too has been clunking since day 1. It's not the doors, but the B pillar, so...Does anyone know how to take off the plastic covering to get at the insides?
Old 06-25-2008, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Spetz
I've got an 08 4dr Sahara and it too has been clunking since day 1. It's not the doors, but the B pillar, so...Does anyone know how to take off the plastic covering to get at the insides?
I don't mean to doubt you, but did you try the tape on the door striker? I swore up and down it was something in the pillar. I thought I would give the tape a try on the part of the striker the latch grabs. It has since been as quiet as a brand new luxury car. I put it on all 5 door strikers. Going over bumps, passengers have said "This Jeep is pretty solid".

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar