Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 05-30-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear you on the roll bar. Mine got louder when I switch from the hard top to the soft top.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Duds
I no longer hear the clunk. thank god.
My noise went away when I took the doors off!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

For those that got the replacement parts:

Is the actual part a different number. can you see a physical difference if you compare the two?

The reason I ask it seems to me that they are installing the same parts. I think once the new part is installed, it's only a matter of time before the noise comes back, that means that something must have shifted during installation and now it worked it's way back.

As for the electrical tape, it's tough but it's also pliable, so if after installing the electrical tape a good month or so ago, and having a 34 with a bike rack on the spare, I hear not a peap.

So how is it that a soft electrical tape could hold a door from moving when a hinge cant?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Quote from Big D2
As for the electrical tape, it's tough but it's also pliable, so if after installing the electrical tape a good month or so ago, and having a 34 with a bike rack on the spare, I hear not a peap.

So how is it that a soft electrical tape could hold a door from moving when a hinge cant?

I put electrical tape on my on my NEW REPLACEMENT LATCHES which worked fine on the driver's side but still clunked on the passenger side. It silenced the noise.......for now anyway. I'm only guessing here but I wonder if it eliminated the metal striking metal contact thus silencing the noise. The flex of the body vs doors is probably still there but the tape padded the metal and muffled the sound. Does that sound like a possibility?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

This issue seems to go have gone on forever...Some report that replacing Parts 4589277AG and 4589276AG have worked - I did this and it did not work; The seat belt also was replaced - it did not work. Do the Jeep Tech reps ever look at this stuff? It would seem to be a good source to improve their product!
Old 06-06-2008, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

08 Sahara Unlimited

Yah..seems like a common problem, mine makes the "thunk" sound whenever I hit a sharp bump, and B pillar location is about right. Haven't done much as dealers seem to be deaf to noises coming from my Jeep. I thought it was from either door latch/striker hitting or maybe door hinge movement. I've adjusted striker but maybe needs more.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cappi's JKR
I got an 08' 4door w/ a soft top. I get that damn thunk every time I go over a speed bump..Haven't investigated yet (always seem to forget about it once parked), but I'll be looking into it today. I'll try adjusting the door latch, see if that works. But it definitely sounds like its coming from inside the B-pillar....we'll see.
Good thread, hope you all don't take this the wrong way....but I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem....
Hi, how did you adjusted them ? My JK is barely 3000 miles and got that annoying "thunk"..let me know champ.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

[So how is it that a soft electrical tape could hold a door from moving when a hinge cant?

Well, the electrical tape is not holding the door. It's the front hinges. The latch holds it a little, or pretty much guides it on. Otherwise if you were off slightly, you would never be able to close your door. The electrical tapes ability to deform slightly gives is the perfect contact patch with the latch, thus eliminating any movement.

So if you want to get technical, yes, when you go over a bump, the door (being held by the front hinges) does move up and down a bit. It's the latch's and hinge job to keep it aligned. Mind you there those seem a little to much movement, so the metal to metal contact happens. Hence, noise.

It seems that many people have a problem with such a simple solution. They try and over analyse it. Just put the electrical tape on and listen for other noises...since it aint a Lexus.....It's a JEEP!!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I put plastic electrical tape on my driver's door striker (Body Side) and the noise went away COMPLETELY. I was skeptical, but decided to try it. It works for now. If the noise comes back, two seconds is all it takes to fix it again.
No I can hear noises from elsewhere.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

I am a believer. Nice sticky electrical tape on all 4 doors and tailgate striker loops makes the rattling go away.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar