Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 05-19-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem... if you open the door, you can move it up and down, and when you do - you hear the "clunk", "thunk", "ca-chunk", etc. PIMA - I thought it was busted hinges - so I had them replaced, still move up and down. Passenger rear door is solid as a rock, as are the front doors - check this - went to a dealership, checked EVERY Unlimited Wrangler, would guess 75% of them had the "loose" back door - what the heck?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the electrical tape fix and for three days running no single sound is heard.
Keep my fingers crossed.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 AM
JK Newbie

Just want to know if the KLUNK stays away with the new part ??
Can anyone confirm that the problem is gone after replacing?
I have to bring my Jeep to the dealership next week so i ll ask them to replace the parts if it' s working.....
Old 05-27-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I no longer hear the clunk. thank god.

Originally Posted by Ferre
I have to bring my Jeep to the dealership next week so i ll ask them to replace the parts if it' s working.....
Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Had the new part install about 1 month/1200 miles ago. Not a sound since. Before they would adjust the striker and in about 100 -300 miles the sound would come back.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferre
The new latch cures the noise but you may want to call ahead. When I had mine replaced the new latches were on back-order and it took a week or two to get them.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI - to the "It's the door - adjust the door and it goes away" guys and everyone else who get a thunk in their ear on every bump:

I have a B-Pillar noise. Period. I have had my top off, doors off and been driving naked (not really but to stress the point)- I still get the thunk in the B-pillar. Trust me, some of us have B-pillar seatbelt thunks going on...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I beleive its the roll bar initself the way its mounted through the floor .. Take a look under the jeep and see what I mean looks like its spring loaded or something . Also the sound may not necessarilly be coming from the pillar the sound may be from the plastic support arms (whatever they are called ) from the wheels , I had this problem on a Dakota . They replaced the plastic and bushing arm off the wheels and the klunk whent away
Old 05-30-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I guess i spoke too soon. Thunk is slowly coming back now. WTF
Old 05-30-2008, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I know that I have the same noise you guys are referring to...just got my 08sahara-u this past weekend...with the top down...on the plastic rails that the soft top sits in (sunrider track and window frames) there is a metal latch on the top where the sunrider top slides along the track and clips into. Well that latch has a very weak spring...and from the factory (I have checked a few others at the dealers) the latch is somewhat loose where it is fastened to the track. Whenever you hit a bump the latch rattles around.

I am pretty confident that this is the "thunk" and "rattle" that everyone is looking for. I will be playing around with it this weekend looking for a solution. I will be certain to post my results.

If you are unsure whether this is the noise or not...remove the rails and go for a ride...they come off in about 2.5 seconds.

For those of you with rattles over there and thunks and clunks with freedom top on...can't help ya...my freedom top didn't stay on long enough for me to hear any rattles lol..As soon as I picked her up last sat. I dropped the wife off at the mall picked up one of my buddies and took off my hardtop.

She will be topless or in her bathing suit till October.

Let me know if this helps you guys. I am new to the forum, new to Jeeps previous BMW 335i coupe owner (totalled 12/11/07). I thought I might regret not getting another one...as that car was the ultimate package in it's class IMHO...but i have no regrets and I am loving my Jeep

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar