Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a previous thread regarding this problem...I think the problem is with the plastic mouldings in the drivers side pillar..and the fix is pitting some silicone sealant or some sort of rubber spacer...
Old 05-06-2008, 01:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the latch replaced and it was back after a month??
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
08 Sahara Unlimited .. I have an annoying rattle high in the door pillar on the drivers side. Sounds like its coming from just under the seatbelt holder.
Any ideas?
Sounds like a wiring harness plug bouncing around behind there but haven't figured out how to get that panel piece off without busting it..
Also have an '08 Sahara 4dr. Same problem and dealer replaced door latches with Part # 4589277AG which helped. But the rattle on bumpy roads exactly where you have described it (on driver's door pillar in vicinity of the seat belt) is still there. By the way, the seat belt was replaced because my dog ate the original, so replacing the seatbelt did not solve the problem in my vehicle!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

havent heard anyone mention if the dealership is doing the part swap for FREE! If so, Im all about new free parts.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it has been a week or so since I put that piece of tape on the stricker bar. Not a rattle since so evidently on my JK it is the door latch. I'll be going in for an oil change soon so we"ll see if they'll change the latches. Would probably be a good idea to pre-order the latches so they can change them when I take it in.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sobeit69
Ok guys this is exactly what the noise is! Its the driver side front and rear door latches. You need the new updated part! I had the same problem and the dealer thought i was nuts and I wasnt moving the striker ( just would move again later)

So they ordered the parts and after waiting for 3 weeks on back order they put the new ones on and presto the noise is gone!!!!

Proven to work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God because every little bump I hit I thought the doors were gonna rattle off!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude you dont know how much you just helped me out big time. i am bringing my jeep to the dealer next week. do i tell them my latches suck and i need the new ones.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak

We also suffered from the noise in the pillar. Our dealer replaced the latches on both front doors although the noise was only on the driver's side. We were so happy afterward when the noise was gone for several weeks. However, it is back again. We've adjusted and readjusted the striker but the noise is still there.....not as bad as originally. My DH is convinced it has to be from a different source. Maybe there are 2 noises at the same time and the latch replacement cured one but not the other. I don't know, but it is still a mystery. Keep the suggestions coming, this isn't over yet, unfortunately.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same ca-thunk noise over bumps in pillar so I took mine to dealer...
1. They found a piece of plastic in the pillar. Plastic looking tube with a wing nut looking end. Tech had no idea what it was but knew it shouldn't be loose in there.
2. They adjusted the latch on front door pillars so the door was "Tighter" when closed which helped a bunch but I still can hear it over rough roads, it just not as bad. Door is hard to close now, but I can handle that over hearing every bump.

Next time I'm in for service I'll ask them about the replacement part

I'm newbie to this forum and you guys have some great posts, spending all day reading thru past threads. Thanks for lowering my productivity while at work
Old 05-09-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is more of a thunk than a rattle on bumpy roads, and either it's new or I never noticed until reading this It's going in for service next week so I think I'll have them check it out.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the same sound after 6 weeks off the lot. Tried adjusting striker plate which helped for a while. Placed a little electrical tape around striker and have been without rattle/thump for 4 months.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar