Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Well I just put the electrical tape on the door catch and it worked...rattle is gone. I'm still going to put the grease on when it comes in. But I urge anyone to try it. I cut a 2-3 inch piece and wrapped around the door catch, just on the part that faces toward the door latch, ironically it is the same width as a standard piece of electrical tape.
I would of put money on it that it was in the B-pillar by how it sounded...never even looked at the door, could never reproduce it there.

The value of the information available on this forum and in the community here is priceless!!
I agree! I had the same problem and it was LOUD. Had it on both sides of my jk too within the first week. Found this thread on here and put the tape on the first week of March and not a single sound from it yet.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Okay...just got a call from the service manager at the dealership I've been dealing with. So far these guys have been great to deal with.
He told me that since I told him the rattle was not fixed, he has been researching the rattle complaint and found a TSB on it.
The guys who are saying to adjust the door catches are....sort of right. Apparently there is a special grease needed for the latch on the door. He says it is a very thick sticky grease that then gums up the parts of the latch that are loose and rattling. These pieces are loose only in the latched position which explains why when they were testing my Jeep for the sound initially, it went away when the door was opened.
So he ordered the grease and will call me as soon as it is in. Will keep you all posted.
I'll ask him what the TSB name or number is when I speak to him next so if this fixes it all can refer to it with their dealerships and it could even be posted on the forum here.
Know what kind if grease? Like anti seize or somethin
Old 05-18-2011, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jvandy50
Know what kind if grease? Like anti seize or somethin
Lithium grease
Old 05-27-2011, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ArkJK
I agree! I had the same problem and it was LOUD. Had it on both sides of my jk too within the first week. Found this thread on here and put the tape on the first week of March and not a single sound from it yet.
I love this freakin site and being a JK owner! Where else can one get real info from real JK owners !

Have the same issue on my 2011 ....brought to dealer they counldn't "find" it.

Just did the "tape thing" and drove down the side street that would drive me nuts hearing it and....NO NOISE, THUNK or whatever. I too swore it was in the pillar....but was wrong.

Thank You JK Forum and it's members !!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Too bad we lost track of who first proposed the "tape fix".
All 5 of my doors have been quiet for over 3 years because of it.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just tried the electrical tape fix on my 2011, shall see if it fixed it.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Just did mine and worked!!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Default it works!!

Just solved my thunk noise. Before starting to "hunt" the noise disassembling the pillars, a quick search pointed me in the direction of the door closing mechanism.

four strips of duct tape solved it!!

This forum rocks.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

On my 4th JK Unlimited and all 4 (2007-2008) have had this problem. Interestingly enough I thought this one might not rattle since it has factory 1/2 doors and they weigh so much less. Nevertheless, I was lucky to get the "feature" on this one too! I can't believe 2011's still have the problem!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Hahaha... Tape... Who'd of known. I love jk-forums!!

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar