Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 05-02-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same noise, took it to the dealer and they replaced the seat eblt mechanism. Turns out it was the weight inside banging around. No more annoying sound in my ear now
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trying to find that annoying bumping. I ,hecked all the doors, but everything feels right.i even have a bumping sound from the rear sounds like the same sound from possibly the tailgate. Thinking about taking it to the dealership.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
I had the same noise, took it to the dealer and they replaced the seat eblt mechanism. Turns out it was the weight inside banging around. No more annoying sound in my ear now
I'll check mine for "banging weights". I did adjust my strikers and it helped but the doors look a little pulled in.

Without reading 38 pages, I thought I read a larger diameter striker was the fix???
Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Forget the tape, it looks like crap. Buy a set of torx socket and adjust the striker. Adjust the striker so that it is in the middle of the receiver on the door. I did this and the doors are quiet and no tape.

Do not losing the striker bolts all the way. Losing enough to tap into place.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I have an '08 Sahara Unlimited as well. It isn't the striker for the door. And it isn't the seat belt mechanism. My dealer adjusted the door and replaced the mechanism. Thought it was gone but it wasn't. They disassembled the whole pillar down to the metal frame, unfortunately you can get inside of it because it is welded from the factory and I'm not cutting it and reducing my cab integrity at all.
The mechanic and I stared at it, could only reproduce the sound while driving...and I turned around to him and said..what about just filling the pillar with expanding foam. If there is nothing mechanical in there and it is just cables banging or a piece of metal from assembly hopefully the foam would encase it and stop the sound. He spoke to the service manager who in turn called Chrysler. Chrysler gave them the green light saying nothing in there to worry about, that if you look at the bottom of the pillar when stripped down there is foam in there already, possibly not enough?
We filled the piilar with foam...get ready it sucks...is messy, and will get all over if your mechanic isn't ready for it to swell out of every available hole.
Well it turns out that it still rattles...but is much less, which tells me that they didn't get enough foam in the right place. What I found is there must be openings in the top of the B-pillar because the foam bulged up there but my mechanic/tech didn't remove the hard top. So as soon as it is dry enough here I'm pulling the hard top and will see if I can see down inside the pillar and hopefully add more foam to stop it for good.
Keep you all posted
Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kheavlow
Forget the tape, it looks like crap. Buy a set of torx socket and adjust the striker. Adjust the striker so that it is in the middle of the receiver on the door. I did this and the doors are quiet and no tape.

Do not losing the striker bolts all the way. Losing enough to tap into place.
Glad it worked for you, but it hasn't worked for a lot of people.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Glad it worked for you, but it hasn't worked for a lot of people.
Depends on where the rattle is coming from i guess.
I just had to add electric tape to the passenger front door 'cause it started to rattle this week... and rattle gone.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Okay...just got a call from the service manager at the dealership I've been dealing with. So far these guys have been great to deal with.
He told me that since I told him the rattle was not fixed, he has been researching the rattle complaint and found a TSB on it.
The guys who are saying to adjust the door catches are....sort of right. Apparently there is a special grease needed for the latch on the door. He says it is a very thick sticky grease that then gums up the parts of the latch that are loose and rattling. These pieces are loose only in the latched position which explains why when they were testing my Jeep for the sound initially, it went away when the door was opened.
So he ordered the grease and will call me as soon as it is in. Will keep you all posted.
I'll ask him what the TSB name or number is when I speak to him next so if this fixes it all can refer to it with their dealerships and it could even be posted on the forum here.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

08 sahara unlimited and I've got the same damn problem!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Well I just put the electrical tape on the door catch and it worked...rattle is gone. I'm still going to put the grease on when it comes in. But I urge anyone to try it. I cut a 2-3 inch piece and wrapped around the door catch, just on the part that faces toward the door latch, ironically it is the same width as a standard piece of electrical tape.
I would of put money on it that it was in the B-pillar by how it sounded...never even looked at the door, could never reproduce it there.

The value of the information available on this forum and in the community here is priceless!!

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar