Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 04-23-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKSTI&R1
Im with you. 6 weeks old, never off road yet and have the clunking noise. Will try the black tape and see how that goes. I thought I read in this thread a few years back, that there was updated parts for this problem. Mine is a 2011, years later, why do we still have this problem???
I had the update done on my 08...."New strikers" is what my dealer did worked about 1 month clunk came backd and got them readjusted and finally dealer said it's a jeep thing....so electrical tape was my next step and it has worked for over a year.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical tape..

I also had the annoying door rattle and the electrical tape worked like a charm!!

This forum is the best for finding out so much info like this!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ziggy21
I also had the annoying door rattle and the electrical tape worked like a charm!!

For everyone,
The latch replacement worked on both front doors. As for the rear, there are 2 hard plastic peices with 2 screws in them (one on door and other on jeep). They connect to each other. Of all things in the world, this was the noise!!! When they have any lubricant on them they rub and it sounds like the door is coming to peices!!! Get some 2 sided foam tape and wrap around the one on the jeep. This was the cure!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

I took the advice on here and taped mine.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ziggy21

I agree. This place rocks!!! I did the black tape and noise is gone
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 PM
JK Freak

ok I have a 2011 2 door rubicon I just saw this thread
I too have a clunking sound on small bumps, but mine seems to be coming from the rear of the jeep, its a 2 door, with hard or soft top on, it is still there,
it sounds like it is coming from the rear drivers side of the jeep, not the drivers or passenger door.

so does this mean I can tape the rear door latch, striker thing and it will be gone?

is it the rear striker latch that I am hearing on bumps?

my fix so far has been to crank the tunes, but if thats all it will take to get rid of that terrible thump, I am going to go do it right now, could it be a islusion that it is the rear area of the jeep and actually from the drivers or passenger doors?

Last edited by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7; 04-24-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

ok electrical taped the snot out of the rear door striker and it is still rattling on bumps,
Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7
ok electrical taped the snot out of the rear door striker and it is still rattling on bumps,
Try the driver side door as well. Worst you will have to do is take the tape off.....
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
JK Freak

I will try the drivers side door too, but this sound is distinctively coming from the rear drivers side
but if you say so I will give er a try and see,
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7
Hey, the unpainted striker is not the piece that needs the tape. It's a black hard plastic piece with 2 bolts in it. There is one on the rear door itself and another on on the jeep. They slide into one another and have nothing to do with the latching mechanism itself. They are both solid and tight but cause they are plastic , they make a lot of noise when they rub together. You would never think they would be capable of producing such a noise. Use sticky doubled sided foam tape. Electrical tape is too smooth on one side. You need the sticky stuff to prevent rubbing.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar