Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle on the driver's side around seatbelt holder

I'm joining the club with my 1 week old 2dr Rubicon 2010
The rattle appeared just a couple of days ago, will do tape treatment on the weekend...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by alexo
I'm joining the club with my 1 week old 2dr Rubicon 2010
The rattle appeared just a couple of days ago, will do tape treatment on the weekend...
Funny you should post today...

I was going over some holes and patched in the road today, thinking how quiet my JK is with the electrical tape on all the door strikers. The same tape has been on for almost 2 years, now.

It's a beautiful thing!
Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone tried this stuff on their strikers? Might last longer than tape.

Plasti Dip

Last edited by Trackerrrr; 02-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Funny you should post today...

I was going over some holes and patched in the road today, thinking how quiet my JK is with the electrical tape on all the door strikers. The same tape has been on for almost 2 years, now.

It's a beautiful thing!
SAME Here!! Just noticed the rattle/thump driving home from work today... wow. Have to check the latch adj I guess. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did the electrical tape thing on the strikers and the Jeep is a new vehicle. Unbelievable the difference a little tape can make.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow this thread is great..i thought i was losing my mind with this. 2007 Sahara Unlimited...same issue on driver and passenger door.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

I took all the plastic off the door pillar (passenger and driver sides) and added all kinds of padding everywhere I thought something might be rattling. And the clunk noise did not go away, but little rattles did. Further investigation and I found the latch needed adjusting. Now the clunk is 95% gone. Still playing around with the adjustment and each time it gets better.

2009 Sahara Unlimited.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

I'm going to try the tape fix tomorow. Thank you to everybody. Misery loves company.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rattle in Door Pillar

Well, I’ve been looking for this thread for about 17 months or so. Basically right after I got my 2008 4door. Through my own trial and error I went through basically the same things you all have, searching in the pillar and door. I too figured out that it’s the door latch. I never thought of tape on the sticker but I did move it down to make a tighter fit. That worked for about a year. Recently I have been going off road for about 30min a day before work and the rattle was starting to bug me again. After reading through this thread I just simply sprayed the heck out of the mechanism with WD-40 and bingo no rattle I even moved the striker back to the factory position and still no rattle. I went to my local dealership and gave them the part #’s listed in the beginning of the thread and they seem to be for the mechanism not the striker. The striker is a different part # and does not seem to have changed from the beginning so maybe the mechanism has? WD-40 Try it first!!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so what do u think the heavy clunk sound is if the doors and top are off.

it sounds like it is coming from the top of the passenger side seat belt pillar(b-pillar) on my 4dr.

i cannot believe that taping my door strikers is gonna stop this noise if the doors and top are off and i still have the noise.

i can hear it going down the road with the radio up loud. not good.
i have removed the padding and tightened all the bolts i can find in that area to no avail.
i have verified that the rock hard cage is correctly installed and all bolts on it are tight.

im starting to wonder if the problem is under the jeep and is resonating up to the top of the pillar.

all of the soft top components are removed since i only use the hard top-the soft top is too much work to put on.

any other ideas than taping my door strikers?

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar