Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was the single most annoying problem that I had with my JK. I adjusted and re-adjusted and still the clunk. Then I read on this forum to put electrical tape on the striker and not a noise since...I swear it is like owning another vehichle.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have this noise on my 08 unlimited. Had it adjusted at the dealer and it returned about 2 weeks later. Now I hear it on the passenger side also.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. Will check on the latch upgrade this week. Until then I'll try the electrical tape..
Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

well i was about to just take my door off and set it on fire cause the rattle was sooo annoying but i just taped it with some white electrical tape and it worked great.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tried the adjustment of the striker, that lasted a day or so and the noise came back. I also tried the tape and that only lasted a couple days. I put up with it for so long that I actually started getting used to it. Eventually I was going to take it to the dealer and have the revised latch installed, but......It went away completely when I installed my new rock rails!!
Ive had them installed for almost a month and one wheeling trip and I havent heard the noise since the day I put them on
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though the thunk sounds like it's coming from the area of the shoulder belt adjustment it is actually the door latch in the door itself. I didn't really take notice until hunting season - the washboard dirt roads made it sound like the door was coming off. For the longest time I assumed it was the shoulder belt adjuster and ignored it but it got so bad I couldn't stand it. I confirmed that it was the door latch by driving it on a bumpy section while holding the door open - no noise! Slam the door shut - thunk, thunk, thunk...

Adjusting the striker or wrapping tape around it will temporarilly cure the symptom but the only long-term solution is replacing the latch in the door. Covered under warranty, no questions especially when I provided the correct part number. Dealer had several other Jeeps that had experienced the same issue but they hadn't been able to correct it. Didn't even know there was an updated latch. Seems Jeep knows about the problem but is only replacing latches for people that complain about the noise. Mall crawlers won't hear it often or at all, just those of us who actually drive into the back-country.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are these the correct part numbers? i read in another thread about the same subject that the part numbers are

4589277AF and 4589277AG

Originally Posted by sobeit69
The part number is...

4589277AG
and
4589276AG

One is for the Driver side and one is for the Passanger side...dont have the one for the rear..since I am still waiting on the back-ordered part!

Hope this helps!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I get the "THUNK" with either the 2 front freedom top panels on or off. I think it's the door not adjusted right. I will have to give the seals a good shot of silicone spray regardless.
The thunk can be heard also when the panels are taken off. The back part of the hard top moves and bounces off the roll/sound bar.
The whole top is very temperature sensitive and moves quite a bit.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

picked mine up friday from dealer. They
replaced both door latches. Fixed the rattle but
didn't my fender so now it's back at the dealer getting
the dent repaired.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I have heard it intermittently on my Jeep. Since it is in the shop right now for the swaybar disconnect, I will call them about this too.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar