Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read all the responses, so sorry if this has already been said.

I too had anoying rattles, that adjusting the door striker helped, but then after an off road trip it would get really annoying again.

I just installed a Trek Top, which invloved removing the stock door surrounds... Once the door surrounds were off, all of my annoying rattles are gone.

Check your door surrounds. Accidental discovery, but worth looking into.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default noise

Try a little lube on the lock and the stricker like WD40 or penetrating oil every few months. Works for me.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door Strike Adjustment

I adjusted my door strikers inward a little bit today. I noticed that on the door latch, that there is an area that the door striker was rubbing against. It appeared that the door latch was bottoming out if you would say. I moved the door strikers toward the interior of the vehicle. I don't know if this will fix the sound, but I will update soon. I will also take pictures of what I am describing and include them in my update.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Another place to look. Freedom top alignment pin..

Okay guys I did the tape on the catch deal. Still had the noise. I Took off the drivers side freedom top.. Noise gone...After several miles of wash board I Isolated the problem.. Its the metal alignment pin on the freedom top..The pin sits inside a hole in the roll bar..If the pin contacts any part of the roll bar it acts like a needle on a record player..I taped the pin and still had the problem..I tried to bend the pin ever so slightly so that it would not have any contact in the roll bar..Well snap went the pin...I put the top back on and the noise is gone..I noticed that the pin on the passenger side was already broken off.

I thought I'd throw that out as another place to look..
Old 10-11-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

i found mine to be the soft top latch above that area to be really loose. tightened the spring and adios.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Man, am I glad I found this thread. This has been driving me nuts for a month on my 09 Rubi. I have taken the B pillar comepletely off trying to hunt it down. We are on a trip right now and I swear it was coming from the B pillar at head height, at one point I am driving down the road with my ear to the pillar for 5 minutes. I will try elec tape and report back.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by exporubi
Man, am I glad I found this thread. This has been driving me nuts for a month on my 09 Rubi. I have taken the B pillar comepletely off trying to hunt it down. We are on a trip right now and I swear it was coming from the B pillar at head height, at one point I am driving down the road with my ear to the pillar for 5 minutes. I will try elec tape and report back.

I put mine on and off 3 times before I believed that was the fix. I tried adjusting the latch, but the tape works better.

Jeep should post an arrow on the B pillar point to the latch: Place 1-2 turns of electrical tape to eliminate seat belt pendulum rattle.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same Rattle

I got this Jeep 2 weeks ago and have had this rattle...glad to see it is an easier fix...going to try the tape first, my dealership is not so bright
Old 10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by exporubi
Two days later and it seems to have worked
Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Electrical tape...

A lot of the problems come from the latches, use some HD electrical tape and wrap it around the striker latch once or twice, that should cure it.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar