Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'll give it a shot

Looks like I'll give the tape a try!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, I had the same problem on my 07 sahara, printed the post I found on here with the part #, dealer replaced it no problem, after about 4 to 5 months same clunk, have used electrical tape since, no problems
Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by db99wj
I wonder, might be in here or in one of the other threads, but if you take the hinge bolts out to remove the doors and don't install them back, if that allows just enough movement for the doors to make the noise?
Nope. Hinge bolts don't matter.

I had the rattle with the bolts in and out... until I taped it up. I've had the electrical tape on for over a month now and it's still holding up fine. No rattles.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Evil Bunny

I had the rattle with the bolts in and out... until I taped it up. I've had the electrical tape on for over a month now and it's still holding up fine. No rattles.
Yes I thought the same thing and I put the hinge bolts back in and still had the clunk sound also going to try the electrical tape and updated stricker part
Old 09-16-2009, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

BTW I also took apart the plastic on the b pillar (somwhat) and found that one of the trim pieces has pointy peice of plastic that aligns it to the b pillar. It doesn't fasten to the pillar it just sits in a hole on the pillar. I taped that peice down with some good ol' duct tape and it cut down on the rattle there but I still have the "clunk" sound from the door.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Evil Bunny

Oh well. I also have had the tape for about 2 months and no clunking or rattle at all.

for those that are skeptical, if you hear something back behind you, tape them up, you will be surprised. For you engineering types, stop trying to figure it out, I know the noise doesn't come or sound like it is from that area, it sounds like it is at the top of the B pillar, it's ok, sometimes things aren't cut and dry!

I have some engineer friends, they are fun to aggravate.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after a year of rattles, I adjusted my latch and moved it up a little bit and no more rattles!! The tape never worked for me, but this did. You will need a T-40 to adjust the latch. Hopefully it lasts!!
Old 09-19-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default Try the tape

So far the tape works perfectly!
Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

This mod saves lives!!
elec tape for the win!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

I've got a 2008 Sahara Unlimited that has the 'thunk' in both B-pillars when going over ANY bump. Would have put money on problem being in seat belt mechanism. Read about fix in this forum and put electrical tape on door striker where latch catches and no more noise! The 'thunk' sound is being channeled up the B-pillar and out the only opening by your left ear. Who knew? Not me until finding yet another solution in JKForum. Thanks...again.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar