Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 04-11-2009, 01:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunk

Could have sworn it came from the door pillar,...did the tape fix,...and the THUNK has gone !!
Forums rock !!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

mine was missing 3 bolts 1 next to the sun visor and 2 in the A post, all 3 on the passenger side, makes me wonder how many other bolts are missing
Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by amanty
Ok I need some help.
We just purchased on 08' Unlimited from a Honda Dealership.
We are still under manufacturers warranty and now under extended warranty from Honda.

We spent most of the day riding around and this noise is sooo annoying!! From speed bumbs to washboards in the dirt. This thing CLUNKS.

Who do I have fix this problem and is it free
?
Not trying to be a wise a**, but have you read this thread and tried the fix?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amanty
Ok I need some help.
We just purchased on 08' Unlimited from a Honda Dealership.
We are still under manufacturers warranty and now under extended warranty from Honda.

We spent most of the day riding around and this noise is sooo annoying!! From speed bumbs to washboards in the dirt. This thing CLUNKS.

Who do I have fix this problem and is it free?
if you don't have tape like stated here, just get some wd-40 and spray each door hinge..worked for me very well..
Old 04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

put some duct tape on the door striker latch and it should fix the problem or just adjust the latch on the door jam
Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

How do you adjust it?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried to adjust striker and still nothing. However, just put my softop on and the rattle is gone. Seems to only be there when the hard top is on
Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the Jeep in and they did the Krytox TSB. It's been 3 months now and no rattles.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeep-N
I've tried to adjust striker and still nothing. However, just put my softop on and the rattle is gone. Seems to only be there when the hard top is on
I've got a soft top and I've got the noise. I haven't even had it two weeks yet. Yesterday, I made an appt with the service department. Today I found this thread. I just read through all 27 pages of it.

Yesterday I would've sworn to you that it was coming from the seatbelt right by my left ear. Now I'm convinced it's the strikers. As soon as I get off work, I'm putting electrical tape on.

Next Friday at my service appt, I'm bringing the TSB that was posted here and the part numbers of these supposed "updated latches" with me. I'll report back later.

This has been the most satisfying part of my work day
Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had what I thought was the door latch issue. The rattle/clunk sound was driving me nuts. I tried the tape, no effect. Took door apart an put one piece back at a time, taking a trip each time. Still sounded like the latch.

rlabbott posted a list of things to check. One of the items to check was the upper bolt in the corner of the A pillar. I never thought it would be the noise, transmitting down to what I thought was the latch area. The bolt had backed out a ways and was rattling....

Good luck finding your rattle, I know it is really annoying.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar