Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just tried the wd40 on my drivers side door, and the clunk over bumps is hardly noticeable...gonna try the passenger door side and see...thanks for the tip!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question A-Pillar

Ok, I definitely have my fair share of squeaks and rattles. After reading this thread, I am definitely going to check all of my doors.

However, does anyone hear a rattle coming from the A-Pillar area on the passenger side? It drives my wife crazy, and I can hear it from the drivers side. I suppose after I investigate the doors, I may find the problem.

But right now, we both definitely hear a rattle that comes from the A-Pillar. I have not looked into it fully, but we checked the glove compartment, and it isn't the problem. Checked the little speaker there on the dash. It seems secure. Still seems like it may be the A-Pillar.

It doesn't really sound like a metalic rattle, more like a dull rattle. Kind of like the "clunk" everyone is talking about, but continues like a rattle.

Update:
Ok, I drove home last night and to work this morning with the radio off. I didn't hear it at all. I guess it comes and goes. Or else it just does it when my wife is riding with me to annoy her.

Last edited by RedWolf; 03-20-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

I took mine to the dealer today and they have ordered a $30 Tube of grease to put on the striker i tried to tell the tech that it won't make any difference but apparently it is protocol. So i guess i'll waste a bit more time there and then take it back again a month later with the same problem to waste a bit more time.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbowers4
Ok, I definitely have my fair share of squeaks and rattles. After reading this thread, I am definitely going to check all of my doors.

However, does anyone hear a rattle coming from the A-Pillar area on the passenger side? It drives my wife crazy, and I can hear it from the drivers side. I suppose after I investigate the doors, I may find the problem.

But right now, we both definitely hear a rattle that comes from the A-Pillar. I have not looked into it fully, but we checked the glove compartment, and it isn't the problem. Checked the little speaker there on the dash. It seems secure. Still seems like it may be the A-Pillar.

It doesn't really sound like a metalic rattle, more like a dull rattle. Kind of like the "clunk" everyone is talking about, but continues like a rattle.

Update:
Ok, I drove home last night and to work this morning with the radio off. I didn't hear it at all. I guess it comes and goes. Or else it just does it when my wife is riding with me to annoy her.

I had the a-pillar rattle and found there are two holes near the winshield frame on the driver and passenger side. One of those bolts was loose and a washer was rattling around.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jchaves

THIS IS THE FIX!

Simply wrap electrical tape around the latch-loop! That's it. Stop going to the dealer, putting grease on this etc etc. If your dealership is anything like the one I went to, you are best served doing this 2 minute repair & forgetting about it!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also had a passenger side a-pillar rattle, or maybe better said, a squeak that was driving me nuts. One of my kids found that it was the passenger side visor because when they held it the rattle/squeak went away. I found the screws for that visor were not tightened down as much as the driver's side was.

Bottom line: I think we should all go around and check/tighten every darn Torx screw we can find, inside and out. Not over-tighten, but simply tighten. To date, I have found a few Torx loose and one fender bolt completely loose.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great info. My Rubi with 600 miles is driving me crazy just trying to figure where the clunk was.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default A pillar response for 'tbowers4'

I had an A pillar rattle. Check the bolt up and to your left when sitting in the Jeep, or up and to the right of the passenger's head. This bolt holds the roll bar to the A pillar. Mine needed lube locker and tightening.
Also, I got noise from the windshield bracket on the outside. I put lube and fiber washers there and got rid of the noise.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used Duct tape and it worked ....... Get this, I went to the dealer and they told me that it is a bodyshop issue????????? WTF. I have the new part number for the FATTER striker bar on the door frame(it is posted in another thread) I was a machanic for 15 years but they never think we know what we are talking about. The JEEP community are so tight nit it feels like they are trying to hide something. KEEP WAVING
Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by davidwm71
Whenever there's a problem there are always people saying "It's not a (name of high end vehicle), it's a Jeep".

I understand that and have even said it in the past about certain things but this vehicle is BRAND NEW and cost me 35,000 bucks. If they were selling Jeeps for $8000 brand new I would be able to over look alot. Just because "it's a Jeep" does not mean we should settle for a POS from the showroom floor. The top leaks...it's a Jeep, the doors rattle, it's a Jeep, it catches fire and burns to the ground, it's a Jeep.
(Better late than never ) I agree 100% I've owned 4 Jeeps, a CJ7, a 94 Wrangler, a 2004 Wrangler, and now the JK. The JK, as far as this little shit is concerned (rattles, leaks, what not), is the worst. Other than the holes in the soft top of my CJ, I've never had a soft top that leaked. The JK leaks pretty badly - from the front top, from the doors, it's crazy. And the knocks and the rattles are out of control. Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep, and it being noisy is partly a Jeep thing, but I would expect improvements in this kind of thing over the years, not a regression. I also never had any rust on anything other than my under components. I have rust on my door hinges and I see people have rust on their front window braces. I love Jeeps and I would be hard pressed not to buy more over the years, but it's no wonder these companies are failing so miserably. And the service departments??? They really need to change their names. They don't offer any service whatsoever! And it's painfully obvious these bafoons never check out forums to see what problems might be being experienced in the Jeep world. You'd think that would be mandatory. Old school, behind the times dolts!

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar