Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tape did it. Thanks!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my drivers side door has been "thunking" over bumps for the last couple of weeks. I found some rubberized black spray paint at the hardware store, gonna take the latches off and spray em. If it doesn't work, ill go with the elec. tape...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the door rattles but I have one that is probably more annoying. It sounds like it is in the dash. Occurs at all speeds. It's louder than the radio at 20. At first I thought it was the plastic moldings around the a pillar hitting the windshield, but I removed those and it still makes the noise. I've removed the glove box and any plastic I could and can't find it. It is not the flaps in the heating ducts. It is not coming from the cowl area from the outside.

Of course, the dealer can't duplicate it. Which means they didn't drive it, because it would be incredible obvious if they did.

Sucks. The 2009 seems to have more vibration in the front than my 07 had and that compounds the issue. Haven't begun to trouble shoot that one yet.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally, it's gone

The rattle is GONE!

It took 2 trips to the dealership but it's finally gone. Skip at Mack Massey here in El Paso had his tech put on some of the sound deadening material they use for care stereos and that took care of it. Kudos to Skip.

I almost have to laugh now because I can here other rattles now I have never heard because the door pillar rattles were so loud. These are so insignificant tho so I'mnot going to worry about them. It's so pleasant driving the Jeep now without that teeth jarring rattle with each bump.

Again, kudos to Skip at Mack Massey and the tech who did the install!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
The rattle is GONE!

It took 2 trips to the dealership but it's finally gone. Skip at Mack Massey here in El Paso had his tech put on some of the sound deadening material they use for care stereos and that took care of it. Kudos to Skip.

I almost have to laugh now because I can here other rattles now I have never heard because the door pillar rattles were so loud. These are so insignificant tho so I'mnot going to worry about them. It's so pleasant driving the Jeep now without that teeth jarring rattle with each bump.

Again, kudos to Skip at Mack Massey and the tech who did the install!
An photo or better description of the material used - i'm imagining felt underlay or polyfill - but can't think where they'd put it?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foxcasper
An photo or better description of the material used - i'm imagining felt underlay or polyfill - but can't think where they'd put it?

Sorry, that's about the best I can do for description short of tearing into the pillars which I'm not about to do. Think it was some kind of felt type stuff.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Default Clunking/Rattle Fix

For those with a rattle or clunking noise coming from the B Pillar there is a much easier solution than going to the dealership again and again... WD-40!
I posted this 3 months ago but can't seem to find the thread, spray some of that on all of your latches and strikers including the one in your tailgate and the noise should be gone unless you have a more serious problem.
Also for anyone whose door doesnt meet up with the body of the jeep, adjust the striker on your b-pillar, move over towards the drivers seat or whatever seat depending on what door you're having the problem with and tighten it up good so it doesnt move. It will take a little bit of trial and error to get it just right but its pretty easy to fix.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Talking

Originally Posted by fullbore
I had this same issue. The dealer replaced the seat belt mount in the B pillar and that fixed it.

Excatly I held my seat belt tight then I realized it was the lower part of the belt
Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Just a little extra info for everyone. I had taken my plastic doors frames off my 08 4dr and my thunk went away. I think my thunk is not so much the door, but the door frame hitting the door. Try tightening your hand screws down tight., and test them for any play.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks that sounds like a great idea you might be correct

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar