Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking noise

Ok guys this is exactly what the noise is! Its the driver side front and rear door latches. You need the new updated part! I had the same problem and the dealer thought i was nuts and I wasnt moving the striker ( just would move again later)

So they ordered the parts and after waiting for 3 weeks on back order they put the new ones on and presto the noise is gone!!!!

Proven to work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God because every little bump I hit I thought the doors were gonna rattle off!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same rattle in my 08 Rubi and I took it in and they adjusted the door and the noise is gone for now.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poppakristof
That thunk noise over the shoulder with the hard top are panels rubbing and sticking. I finally fixed mine with felt and lots of silicone spray on the rubber/foam.

I got an 08' 4door w/ a soft top. I get that damn thunk every time I go over a speed bump..Haven't investigated yet (always seem to forget about it once parked), but I'll be looking into it today. I'll try adjusting the door latch, see if that works. But it definitely sounds like its coming from inside the B-pillar....we'll see.
Good thread, hope you all don't take this the wrong way....but I'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem....
Old 04-25-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sobeit69
Ok guys this is exactly what the noise is! Its the driver side front and rear door latches. You need the new updated part!

So they ordered the parts and after waiting for 3 weeks on back order they put the new ones on and presto the noise is gone!!!!
What new and updated part?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Default here is the latch part number

The part number is...

4589277AG
and
4589276AG

One is for the Driver side and one is for the Passanger side...dont have the one for the rear..since I am still waiting on the back-ordered part!

Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I am going to have the dealership replace mine.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Default latches

Great let me know how it works out. I only needed the front driver but they replaced both front and the noise is gone. Might as well do the rears as well...they are on back order though!
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Will do. Hopefully they will do them all but we will see.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

I had the latch replaced by the dealer yesterday and no more noise!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bruce K
That's what mine sounds like. Took it to the dealer once but evidently the tech didn't hit the right bumps. He just drove it on the lot. "Could not duplicate". I didnt complain due to the fact that they did some things for me for free that they no way had to. Good shop experience over all and I'll try again the next time I stop by.
You need to find some bumps to make them understand what's wrong. There's no shortage of pot holes/bumps on IL roads after winter!

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar