Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've GOT TO BE KIDDING, with this "put some tape on the latch and the rattle will go away", has turned into HOLY CRAP, because it really works. This saved me at least two hours of frustration. I was determined to pull the cover of the pillar tonight and fix the rattle in the seat belt mechanism.

Dudes. Save yourselves the trouble and take 5cm of electrical tape and wrap it around the front part of the latch (the closest part to you that runs parallel to the frame), it takes 10 seconds.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this odd problem!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chicky_regal
You've GOT TO BE KIDDING, with this "put some tape on the latch and the rattle will go away", has turned into HOLY CRAP, because it really works. This saved me at least two hours of frustration. I was determined to pull the cover of the pillar tonight and fix the rattle in the seat belt mechanism.

Dudes. Save yourselves the trouble and take 5cm of electrical tape and wrap it around the front part of the latch (the closest part to you that runs parallel to the frame), it takes 10 seconds.
X2 works for me!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone tried to get the dealer to apply TSB 23-024-08?? it suppose to fix the door pillar rattle for jeep build before 6/28/08....
Old 10-29-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BNE_JK
Has anyone tried to get the dealer to apply TSB 23-024-08?? it suppose to fix the door pillar rattle for jeep build before 6/28/08....
Yeah if you are referring to the updated latches. It has fixed it for me so far, but others are reporting that the sound eventually came back. Still all good for me after a few weeks, and wheeling
Old 10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Default new intel on the rattle...

Ok, I have new intel on the rattle...

I removed the rear zip-out windows so that i could have a better look at the rattle area that I am experiencing. It appears that the plastic pole junction for the freedom top is knocking against the top of the door pillar.

So to test this, I rolled up a strip of duct-tape into a small pad, and temporarily taped it to the top of the door pillar... I drove around the crazy-bumpy New Orleans streets, and the problem was solved!

So next step? I'll get some 1/2" thick foam padding and tape or glue it to the top of the pillar so that it looks cleaner.

I also wrapped the back roll-bar with a flat-bungie, which has reduced the lesser rattles inside.

I hope this helps someone having the same issue as me.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BNE_JK
Do you have a PDF of this TSB? I didn't see it on the project-jk TSB page...and Google turned up nothing. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mikejwil
Do you have a PDF of this TSB? I didn't see it on the project-jk TSB page...and Google turned up nothing. Thanks!

sorry mate, I coudn't find it either, thats why I asked here

I read this on another forum, the poster said the dealer found this TSB through their secretive computer network. It has something to do with apply some special greese to the lock itself.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kntr
I wrapped all the door latches and no rattle!!!! I should have done it earlier.
same here.
did all the doors and gate.

not only did get rid of the clunk. The jeep is noticable more quiet (hardtop is on).
Amazing for 1 minute and 15" of electrical tape !

I guess we need to change the saying "held together with bailing wire and electrical tape"
Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost forgot about this thread.
Well, right after I posted that I was having the same problem, I took it to the dealer and they fixed it. Hasn't made a single peep since then. I think the guy told me that they replaced the latch or something. He also said there was a TSB. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar