Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 09-21-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike pavelin
Rattle update........

Tried the tape today. Works great!

Have now found some semi rigid compressed air line, like the stuff they use on truck air brakes, Cut a small length, slit it down the middle snd snapped it over the striker loop instead of the tape. The door shuts on it just fine as it has a very thin wall, will report on effectiveness tomorrow.

Glad you found something other than tape. Now, see how long it lasts..
Old 09-21-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Did the electrical tape thing tonite, but I guess I may have used too much (about 6") because when I closed the door the lock gouged several layers of the tape. The latch is still not visible but the first few layers of tape have been torn away.
However, it seems to have worked.
Guess I'll have to give it some time and see if it's fixed for good.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

The plastic tube works fine. I have it on the driver side and left tape on the passanger side, we'll see which one fails first.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
Does that mean you are ordering the part on your own dime ()? Or is it being covered under warranty? Hope it works out for you...Let us know how it goes...Thanks..
It will be under warranty, but it is still on back order
Old 09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lammer
Did the electrical tape thing tonite, but I guess I may have used too much (about 6") because when I closed the door the lock gouged several layers of the tape. The latch is still not visible but the first few layers of tape have been torn away.
However, it seems to have worked.
Guess I'll have to give it some time and see if it's fixed for good.
After four trips to the old service dept for the same crap, I did the electrical tape as well. It did work and had veen there for over 4 months (with gouges). Pterry sad to spend 35,000 for a rattle trap but thanks to all of the peopke on the JK forum for the tips! They are much appreciated!!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Waiting on the back ordered "updated latches", but using the E-Tape in the mean time, and it is working great.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Can someone post a pic where to wrap the tape?
Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Smile Our Dealer Fixed it right away

Our Dealer was aware of the issue and replaced the door latch...viola the noise is gone and has not returned.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 PM
JK Newbie

Where would we be without this JK forum? I thought that the "Klunk/Rattle" in the door was just going to be one of those "Jeep" noises we all come to love. But thanks to this awsome forum, I now know that this can be fixed.
Thanks guys!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default Yesssss

Had the rattle. Went back to dealer to get the new door latches. Rattle went away, but soon came back. Came here, learned about the electrical tape. Skeptical, but tried it.

WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!!!!! Silence is golden and has been for a while now. I would take a pic to show what to tape, but I have no idea how to post a pic.

It's the piece of tubular metal on the body of the jeep that the door latches onto. Open your door, look on the frame about where the handle would be....

Don't overthink it, it's so simple...

THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar