Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 09-09-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z4string
WARNING!!!
For everyone with an '07 there is NO UPDATED DOOR LATCH to solve your clunking door problem. My dealer finally installed the "updated latches" after trying everything else and several unsatisfying visits. I supplied the part #s that are posted in many threads here and they ordered and installed them without double-checking with Chrysler. These latches only work on '08's. If installed on an '07 the power locks will not work. Chrysler sent a notice to dealers instructing them not to install the latches in '07's due to the incompatibility.

If you have an '07 get some electrical tape. Chrysler has not acknowledged the problem even though there are thousands of us with a clunk in our ear every time we hit a bump.

Z4string....what is the part number i have gotten the doors adjusted by the dealer only to have them rattle & clunk in about 2 weeks time.

They give me the line "what do you expect for a vehicle that it's doors can come off....you should expect some rattles and clunks.".

Do you have the TSB and part numbers for the latches????
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about all these magicial new latches. If they were really updated latches, you'd think the '09's would have them. I have an '09 and after about a month of ownership and 2500kms, I have the thunk on my driver's side door. Will try the tape solution tonight.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Updated latches

The part #s numbers up are in this thread somewhere. As far as I know there is no TSB and the service manager says that the updated number is just a vendor change. I'm not sure what to believe though I have not found a TSB.

I gave the service manager the numbers and he installed them w/o checking with Chrysler who clearly indicated that they would not work on an '07. They don't...... After my experience with this problem I advise that you go the electrical tape route as there is no guarantee that the latches will solve your problem.

I'm learning that anything that you can fix yourself is better than taking a chance at the dealer. My warranty is up soon so I won't be tempted much longer.

Good Luck
Old 09-11-2008, 11:54 AM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The updated latches don't work. The "thunk" comes back. Best solution is to just remove the doors! For winter use, tape the strikers.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Just placed an order for the "Updated Latches" for mine. Hope that does the trick...
Old 09-12-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gryph0n
Just placed an order for the "Updated Latches" for mine. Hope that does the trick...
Does that mean you are ordering the part on your own dime ()? Or is it being covered under warranty? Hope it works out for you...Let us know how it goes...Thanks..
Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

one fix for the rattle in the door pillar is to take a piece of fuel line, ~ 12 inches, split it long way, and line the cluth hydralic line. It is smashed between two heat sheilds up against the fire wall and bangs around. This cured my clunk. There is a post on the forum somewhere with a pic. This sound really traveled.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanc
one fix for the rattle in the door pillar is to take a piece of fuel line, ~ 12 inches, split it long way, and line the cluth hydralic line. It is smashed between two heat sheilds up against the fire wall and bangs around. This cured my clunk. There is a post on the forum somewhere with a pic. This sound really traveled.
Thats great if you have a 6 speed, but what about the guys with autos?

The main rattle/clunk that this whole thread is about, is coming from the door moving around on the striker. Its been found and proven already. There are some ways to fix it, which also proves the cause has been found. One way is to tape the striker, or re-adjust the striker so it pulls the door tighter (but then its hard to shut the door and it doenst sit flush with the side of the Jeep.....
Or, you can do like I did and install some heavy duty body mounted rock rails

Here is what I found....
Back when I had the rattle, I did a test of my own that you can try....drive down a road that makes the door rattle, then crack the door open and the rattle will stop, and then you'll also see how much the door bounces up and down while its cracked open. This made me think the body is flexing in the door jam area, which makes the door bounce and rattle on the striker. I tried the usual things like adjusting the striker, which would work for a couple days, then the rattle would come back. So tried the tape and that worked for a little while too, until it wore down enough for the rattle to come back. So I pretty much gave up trying to fix it and lived with it for a month or two. Then one day I decided to order up some body mounted rock rails that I wanted. It just so happen that the day I installed them, was the day my rattle/clunk disappeared for good, its been over 6 months now and I havent heard it since.

So...this leads me to believe that I was right about the body flex, which is causing the door to bounce on the striker and rattle, because as soon as I stiffened up the body with my body mounted rock rails, the noise disappeared.

Last edited by Eracer76; 09-13-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:21 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by z4string
I just had my '07 in today so they could apply the magic MOPAR grease that was supposed to cure my door latch noise. I asked for the updated latches and they said Chrysler would not authorize the latches until the grease solution failed. The grease actually helped the drivers side door (still on day one) but that just makes it easier to hear the passenger side door! I was back at the dealer ten minutes later. They are supposed to call me tomorrow because the service manager was not there today. Maybe now they will replace the latches.

Has anyone else got the grease story?

Those of you that had latches replaced without a hassle are fortunate to have a dealer who actually cares about their customers. I am completely underwlmed by the customer service of the dealer in Westfield CT.
They were very helpful when they sold me the Jeep...........
Got my '07 back from the dealership yesterday (in the UK), has had the door rattle since day 1. They will not do anything with it till they get some of this
grease. Also awaiting updated EGR valve (it's a CRD) for grumbling noise when pulling away.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
JK Newbie

Rattle update........

Tried the tape today. Works great!

Have now found some semi rigid compressed air line, like the stuff they use on truck air brakes, Cut a small length, slit it down the middle snd snapped it over the striker loop instead of the tape. The door shuts on it just fine as it has a very thin wall, will report on effectiveness tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar