Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in door pillar

Old 07-04-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It worked for me. Easy, cheap fix.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had an annoying rattling noise coming from my driver side roll bar / door pillar but it ended up being a zipper handle off the roll bar padding that was tapping against the roll bar....maybe that helps as it fixed mine.

good luck
Old 07-06-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DZNTS
Can you post some pics of this please. Mine is rattling the doors too. Its not the B pillars. I know 100% it is the doors. What kind of tape did you use?
Yeah need a pic, tried this and still not fixed. I think i maybe puting tape on wrong.

Thanks Tim
Old 07-06-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I still can't post pics for some reason.
But, just put a couple wraps of the tape on the part of the door striker that is closest to you when you are standing there looking at it on the pillar. It's the part of the striker the door latch grabs as you close the door. Close it slowly and you can see where the tape should go. I know a picture would be better, but I think the explanation is very clear.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could wrap tape around the entire striker, it won't hurt anything. If you wrap the entire striker you will see where the door latch touches after you open and close the door a few times. You can then remove the tape and retape it only where needed if it bothers you to have the whole striker wrapped.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Magic MOPAR grease ???

I just had my '07 in today so they could apply the magic MOPAR grease that was supposed to cure my door latch noise. I asked for the updated latches and they said Chrysler would not authorize the latches until the grease solution failed. The grease actually helped the drivers side door (still on day one) but that just makes it easier to hear the passenger side door! I was back at the dealer ten minutes later. They are supposed to call me tomorrow because the service manager was not there today. Maybe now they will replace the latches.

Has anyone else got the grease story?

Those of you that had latches replaced without a hassle are fortunate to have a dealer who actually cares about their customers. I am completely underwlmed by the customer service of the dealer in Westfield CT.
They were very helpful when they sold me the Jeep...........
Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default Rattling in Missouri

Like most of the other folks on this thread, I also have the rattle in the driver's side pillar. I like the tape idea to confirm it and will give that a shot tomorrow.

I bought my new '08 Unlimited X right at the end of May, and just returned from a three week, 6275 mi break-in drive, and that rattle absolutely drove me batty. I couldn't tell if I had a serious build issue or not, but folks on this thread have described precisely what I've been hearing.

Thanks for all the pointers!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default For those still having a problem after tape

For mine, I had to apply tape and move the striker down 1 or 2 mm.
I used masking tape on the top of the striker and the side as reference points before I loosened the striker. I left the 'reference' tape on a few days until I was sure I did not want to return to the original position. The 1mm striker movement made no difference in the appearance or closing-force of the door that I can detect.

Now I have complete silence. And really the black tape is hardly noticeable.

I was intrigued by how great this worked... So I went further and played around with various sizes of clear and back plastic tubing. I could not find any however that had a thin enough wall to work well. I did not try heat shrink tubing, but I'm thinking about it. (The problem with the heat shrink tubing, I think, will be that after you slice it to put it on the striker, and then apply heat, it will just shrink and pull itself right off. but maybe super glue??? A child's mind just never stops! )
So I just went back to the electrical tape.

And, btw, this 'tinkering' is sort of fun. (In limited doses of course.)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default New latches on order...

The service manager called today so I guess they are tired of me. Two new revised latches are on order. They could have saved us both a lot of time and hassle by ordering these two visits ago. If this doesn't work I have a roll of tape at the ready. I cannot stand that "thunk" noise any longer.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:49 AM
JK Newbie

The tape on the door loop has been on for two days now.... and all is silent. What an amazing difference!

Radio Shack used to sell colored electrical tape (including green) -- I think that stop's on my plate for this weekend. At least that way the tape will sorta match the paint.

Thanks for the great suggestion!

Quick Reply: Rattle in door pillar