Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle/ Clicking sound Need help!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle/ Clicking sound Need help!

I've noticed this sounds for a few days now, it only happens when I'm going over the insane speed bumps in my apt complex and sudden drops in the street (sukken man hope covers). I'm taking it into the stealership to have it checked out under warrenty while I still have it. Any one else have this prob? My Jeep is pretty much stock, factory wheels and suspinsion. the olny aftermarket stuff on it is the procomp light bar, stubby stock front bumper and trailer hitch. I've only had it off road once at the Texas sized Jeep meet and that's it. I'd rather not get taken for a ride with these guys again. I've looked around and can't find anything loose. But it sounds like a couple of washers loose on a bolt. Any ideas?????
Old 09-25-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Not really, get a wrench and starting tightening down your suspension.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose Shock maybe or heat shield to the cats
Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Where is noise coming from may help a little???
Old 09-25-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

checked the bolts and nuts in the immedate area. sounds like it's coming from the wheel well. but that might be the sounds echoing.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

I'm currently experiencing a clunk too. The clunk sound similar as if you grab the tie rod and move it up and down. the clunk will happen between 15 and 45 MPH when going over a bumps on the road. I I am not sure whatt is causing it, but I searched a lot of forums and try a lot of things to no avail. The next step is to replace tie rod, and the drag link.

07 Unl Rubi stcock 13000 miles AUT
Old 09-26-2008, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

found the culpret!! The shock is blown, and the stealership will be covering it under warrenty. one problem...... it's on a national back order and is could be anywhere from 3days to 3months to the shock in.......... so yeah to fix the problem they switched the driver and passenger side shocks and the problem went away. Looks like I'll be taking it easy for a while untill the shock gets it.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neopj3
found the culpret!! The shock is blown, and the stealership will be covering it under warrenty. one problem...... it's on a national back order and is could be anywhere from 3days to 3months to the shock in.......... so yeah to fix the problem they switched the driver and passenger side shocks and the problem went away. Looks like I'll be taking it easy for a while untill the shock gets it.
I'd give them a few days to get the shock in, but that's it. A bad shock is potentially dangerous. Based upon that, and the fact that you seldom venture off road, I'd buy after market and change both front shocks ASAP. Then I would present the receipt to the dealer and insist upon reimbursement.

Superlift shocks for stock JK at $32 each: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16200_010.htm

My regards,

Widewing
Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

are the back shocks the same as the front????? Not a bad deal and when I upgrade to a 2" lift, I'd already have the shocks inplace. Thanks for the tip

Quick Reply: Rattle/ Clicking sound Need help!