Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattle in 4th gear (not gear knob) manual

Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle in 4th gear (not gear knob) manual

hello all,

I get a rattle in 4th gear, when I'm coasting. Can also be heard when under power but not as bad. It is also evident in 6th but not a lot less . I pulled the gear knob off thinking it could possibly be the problem, but rattle did not change

07 unlimited 6 sp manual

any body solve this problem before?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Can you relate the rattle to engine rpm or vehicle speed?
Does it sound driveline related or could it be wind related?
Can you feel it in the shift knob as a vibration?

Last edited by feuerdog; 02-09-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 AM
JK Newbie

Sound goes away when I depress clutch pedal, and is there all the time in 4th so not speed related. defiantly sounds like it's coming from under the shifter
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FA Industries
Sound goes away when I depress clutch pedal, and is there all the time in 4th so not speed related. defiantly sounds like it's coming from under the shifter
What about certain loads...does it make the noise if say you let the clutch out and creep along in first and hit the breaks a little to bog the motor slightly...do you hear it then?...I'm thinking possibly a throw out bearing, but maybe vehicle speed, road and wind noise are making it so you can't hear it at higher speed?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

I just got my throw out bearing changed on warranty and now i here that rattle you are talking about (i think) i dont hear it in 1st just 2 3 and 4 dunno bout 5 and 6 though. I feel like the rattle happens when accelerate. You think its the same?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EKAP
I just got my throw out bearing changed on warranty and now i here that rattle you are talking about (i think) i dont hear it in 1st just 2 3 and 4 dunno bout 5 and 6 though. I feel like the rattle happens when accelerate. You think its the same?
Possibly...the noise I described to you was the noise that I know is my throw out bearing and mine rattles under low speed high load, and I don't get it at all in 4 low.
You just had yours replaced, it could be the bearing again but I would also check the exhaust and heat Shields, pay close attention around the "y"pipe where the two come together and also grab you 2 down pipes and every thing back and wiggle it a little to see if they missed tightening something when the t.o.bearing was done...as far as I know they are still using the same crappy bearing if it was done at a dealer.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Yea im definitely going to check tthose heat shields tomorrow in the sun light
Old 07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ...so...

...What happens next?

I start school next month, and every penny counts. Then the fact that I just downsized and now have no garagem I am even more worried. So- is this precurser to an expensive/dangerous fail?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could be the exhaust pushed up against the cross member ....happened to me, barely touching it after warming up it gets worse ...goes away pressing in clutch
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have checked everywhere. My research has led me to it's just the shitty Mercedes truck tranny they put in it. Noisy clunky and riddled with problems

Quick Reply: Rattle in 4th gear (not gear knob) manual