Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rare Parts Ball Joint installation

Old 07-13-2020, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rare Parts Ball Joint installation

What to know before getting into this?

Also, searching for some kind of additional adapter that ball joint presses don't have. Recall seeing something about it in the past before I ordered them. They're the Rare Parts Ball Joints LTD Edition.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GetShrek'd
What to know before getting into this?

Also, searching for some kind of additional adapter that ball joint presses don't have. Recall seeing something about it in the past before I ordered them. They're the Rare Parts Ball Joints LTD Edition.
you might want to put this in jk tech.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

There are some great videos on installing ball joints in the Jeep JK. Recommend them. The "additional" adapter you refer to is because the ball joint seats have a slight angle. Some folks have used stacked washers to take up the gap from that angle, but the risk is you don't set the BJ flat. Better to have proper tools ...

https://www.toolsource.com/ball-join...-p-110509.html

When doing your install, you may find it confusing what adapter and which way to press. These two photos may prove useful to you. Do them in this order ...

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 07-17-2020 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GetShrek'd (07-20-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done this with 2 separate JK's now. Get the kit, the first time I did it on my 07 jk I just had a normal ball joint press and it took forever to get them changed. The washer slipped, you couldn't get direct pressure on them it seemed and none of the conventional adaptors really worked well. The second time I did it I purchased a kit for doing Dodge ball joints. I had all 4 done in about 2 hrs easy-peasy. The ability to get the pressure directly where you needed to helped so much and made it so much simpler.
The following users liked this post:
GetShrek'd (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There are some great videos on installing ball joints in the Jeep JK. Recommend them. The "additional" adapter you refer to is because the ball joint seats have a slight angle. Some folks have used stacked washers to take up the gap from that angle, but the risk is you don't set the BJ flat. Better to have proper tools ...

https://www.toolsource.com/ball-join...-p-110509.html

When doing your install, you may find it confusing what adapter and which way to press. These two photos may prove useful to you. Do them in this order ...

Would this work the same?
Old 07-20-2020, 10:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,662 Posts

You can buy the adapter kit from Harbor Freight and modify the one adapter you need to. You have to cut out a portion in a similar fashion. The kit would cost a little more than buying the individual pieces similar to what you have there above, but you get a lot more pieces to fit together to make various situations on various vehicles work. It is definitely nice to have those additional adapters as the basic presses you borrow from the auto stores don't have the proper pieces to even get the basic factory BJ out without just blowing the stud out.

Those are very nice BJs btw, and RP has great customer service. I have a friend that had those. I had crappy DT BJs. Would much rather have those RPs.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by GetShrek'd

Would this work the same?
I'm puzzled why it doesn't list the JK. But it also doesn't list the JT, which is identical to the JL/JLU that are listed. Give it a try, and let us know.

Quick Reply: Rare Parts Ball Joint installation