Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

random loss of electrics when releasing the clutch

Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random loss of electrics when releasing the clutch

Hey everyone,

On random occasion I will loos all the power on when I release the clutch from a stop. The radio will shut down, all the lights on the dash come on and then go off and I get the warning "ding". It only happens for a split second, the motor never dies (or even comes close to stalling), and all the electronics come back up. The only thing that stays on is the red battery light on the dash. If I shut down and restart it goes away.

Anyone had this issue or have any ideas?

AGT
Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm thats a new one to me! I've never heard of anything like that happening! Sounds like there's an electrical short or something somewhere!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Yep I have had the exact same issue. a few times. I haven't looked into it yet.waiting on warmer weather. I posted here and some suggested it is a grounding issue. I got stuck in Chicago rush hour traffic one night. I didn't reset it and the Jeep died on me. got a jump start and all was fine. had the battery checked and it tested fine. Someone also mentioned getting it tested under load as this will show a bad cell in the battery that wouldn't show up on a basic check. I'd have to re check my old posts to find all the info again or I think you can do that too. if necessary. let me know if you find out more than I did.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could also be a grounding issue. Check the fuse block and look around For any loose wires including all frame grounds. Issue may not be with the clutch but with the forces the jeep is put under when you move the clutch at a dead stop. Try to see if you can trace anything and if not Maby head down to the local dealership and get their .02. Hope this helps!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

I'll take a look around this weekend...it's just weird that it only happens when a heavy load is put on it.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
kik
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AustinGT
Hey everyone,

On random occasion I will loos all the power on when I release the clutch from a stop. The radio will shut down, all the lights on the dash come on and then go off and I get the warning "ding". It only happens for a split second, the motor never dies (or even comes close to stalling), and all the electronics come back up. The only thing that stays on is the red battery light on the dash. If I shut down and restart it goes away.

Anyone had this issue or have any ideas?

AGT
I think that the only thing electrical involving the clutch is the safety switch that prevents starting without the clutch being depressed. It possibly is defective, causing an improper connection when depressed. I would start there.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Had a similar issue with my auto, but it was at random times.. The Jeep would basically shutdown like you're saying and go into limp mode. The dash would light up like a Christmas tree for a few seconds and then clear itself out and work normal.
After it finally died comepletely on me and wouldn't turn over, I had the Jeep towed back to the dealer and they found that one of the lines going to the computer was not completely connected from the factory.
That was May of 09 within a month of me buying the Jeep, haven't had the problem since.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
t78
JK Newbie

I have an 07 6-speed it does the same thing occasionally maybe someone can tell us something
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

One thing you could check is your mounts. It's worth looking at. It's happened to me on a Toyota pickup before.

If you have a broken motor mount, it can lead to the engine lifting when the clutch pedal is released.

When this happens the ground wire will stretch under pull. When the engine sets back in place the pull on the wire relaxes and your electrical connections come back.

Hope you find the problem.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

its just the car barley starting to stall, all the power is taken from the sterio because the ecu thinks you are stalling for that split second. Notice its only when you let out the clutch rather quickly without much gas?

Quick Reply: random loss of electrics when releasing the clutch