Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Random Check Engine??

Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Check Engine??

So I have about 35,000 on my JK, and this A.M. when I get in it I get the check engine light? What Gives? I have not done any thing out of the ordinary. i do have an Airaid intake(which has been on my Jeep for at least 20,000 miles) an optima battery. I don't have any other engine mods or anything I can think of that might have set it off. Has anyone else had this just come on and where did you start to look? Any help would be great.. Thanks JOE>
Old 02-15-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by indyrednek
Gas cap?
Read my mind.

All CEL's I've experienced have either been due to a loose gas cap or something wrong in the emissions system (bad o2 sensor was mine, I think).
Old 02-15-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gonna check it right now,thanks. I will keep you posted. JOE>
Old 02-15-2009, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, Checked the gas cap, It might have been a bit loose but not much. How would I get the check engine light to go off to seeif i fixed it? JOE>
Old 02-15-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
OK, Checked the gas cap, It might have been a bit loose but not much. How would I get the check engine light to go off to seeif i fixed it? JOE>
Usually if it is something simple like the gas cap it will reset itself after a few miles. I've also heard that pressing the odometer button will display the code...maybe after it shows the error code it clears it???

Usually an Autozone will read and clear the code for you as well. I think I read on this forum once that they even do it for free.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its not the gas cap, the mileage display would actually say gascap if it was

here is way to check for codes when the check engine light comes on

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...what-they-mean
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know if the gas cap idea is truly the problem. Just today, I filled my Jeep up, and like a dummy, did not even screw the gas cap back on, just letting it hang by the retention cord. I drove all the way home (1.5 - 2 miles) without the check engine light turning on. I only noticed my mistake when I walked by it.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the code check and it did not give me any codes. I do have the check engine light and it is still on (after tightening the gas cap). No love ??? Well I am heading over to the dealership in a few to check the computer directly. The service guy said that they might have to pull it right off the computer to get it b/c there is no code. I will keep you posted, thanks for the replies. JOE>
Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

disconnect your battery for 10 min, the comp will reset itself. Mine did this a couple times, that fixed it.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well about 30+ miles on the Jeep and still no more light, it seems the clearing it was all I needed for now? They said that every once in a while it happens. Not really an issue more like a glich. Thats ok with me, thanks for all the help fellas. JOE>

Quick Reply: Random Check Engine??