Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rainy day leaks....

Old 01-20-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rainy day leaks....

Just got back from dealer with an issue of my soft top leaking on top of sub woofer. I have inspected top for holes , leaks , seam issues and zipper problems. Nothing found... It only does it on days that it is raining heavily. So took to dealer (because jeep is only 8 moths old- warranty) and they told me it was doing it because I had taken my rear bumper off to install my AEV tire carrier. The bumper is still off. They are saying the water is coming up from holes in the tub that the rear bumper normally covers. Anyone heard of this , or experienced this ?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are full of crap. Water doesn't flow up. I've had my leak fixed 14 times. Yes 14 and it still leaks. In your case though, it sounds likes the seems are leaky. Is the top still very snug? Try spraying some water proofing spray on it. Most stores that sell camping supplies carry the stuff.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Double post
Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

The top is extremely tight. The thing about it is , I can not feel water any where on that top. I have pulled over and climbed in the back to check. Nothing.. I know I'm not imagining it.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RUBICON7313
The top is extremely tight. The thing about it is , I can not feel water any where on that top. I have pulled over and climbed in the back to check. Nothing.. I know I'm not imagining it.
Is it sealing tight at the tail gate and rear window?
Old 01-20-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

From what I can see... Gonna try water hose test.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Are the zippers closed all the way?
Does it leak both while driving and while parked?

Last edited by jrod250; 01-20-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from dealer with an issue of my soft top leaking on top of sub woofer. I have inspected top for holes , leaks , seam issues and zipper problems. Nothing found... It only does it on days that it is raining heavily. So took to dealer (because jeep is only 8 moths old- warranty) and they told me it was doing it because I had taken my rear bumper off to install my AEV tire carrier. The bumper is still off. They are saying the water is coming up from holes in the tub that the rear bumper normally covers. Anyone heard of this , or experienced this ?
So the dealer told you that the water is coming UP from the bumper/bumper area and settling on TOP of the sub? That seems counter-intuitive and in defiance of gravity. Hard saying for certain without seeing in person I suppose.

I could see the possibility of moisture seeping in, but I wouldn't imagine it would accumulate and/or form above the entry point. If moisture is being wicked up via absorbent material, that's possible, but again, it should not wick up and then pool on a higher surface.

You could try to better locate the "leak" with butcher's block paper (like newspaper w/o the print) or newspaper, paper grocery bags etc - something thin and absorbent enough to show where moisture is coming into the vehicle. Running it through a car wash with the paper should simulate a torrential downpour - and the sprayers would do a reasonable simulation of "driving through rain" experiment. Plus you'd have the added benefit of a controlled environment if you wanted to put the stock bumper back on and/or otherwise plug up any bumper holes.

It's not perfect, but at say $5.00 a car wash, it's likely cheaper for you to help narrow it down than having the dealership play with it at an hourly rate.

Good luck - I hope you find the leak and an easy solution to the problem!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Only while driving..... And yes zippers are securely shut , even the Velcro tab is pulled to properly.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Only while driving..... And yes zippers are securely shut , even the Velcro tab is pulled to properly.
Hmmm. Have a friend ride in the back on a rainy day. I hate leaks.

Quick Reply: Rainy day leaks....