Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rain and leaks

Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rain and leaks

So today after work noticed leaks coming from both drivers side and passengers side on my soft top. Steady rain today and leakage is minimal limited to on the doors. Instinct is no fret I'm not sitting in water and I kinda expected this as the soft top has a lot of opportunity for water travel. So my question is, am I all good or do I worry about any internal rust... ie door internals, remind you leaking is minimal. First leaks noticed every thing seem sealed as usual just believe it has been the amount of wind and rain
Old 10-11-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also wondering, this is my first jeep also a soft top
Old 10-11-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I started to notice my softtop leaking this past summer. I drips at the passenger B pillar. I have removed the carpet bc it smells whem it is wet but I am not worried about rust on the floor, it dries out fast. I havent thought about anythinf in the doora rusting..any one have any experience?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine was leaking on passenger side a lot-say an inch or two on the floorboard when it rained. Dealer fixed it with an oversized door seal. No problems since. BTW mines a softtop also. As far as rust goes that would depend how well you clean it after offroading. My TJ leaked also after 3 or 4 years, but never had trouble with rust. Just took carpets out a couple times each summer and hosed it out real good.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haven't removed or even looked under the carpet. Is the paint covering the floor boards totally? I have seen where the roll bars are not totally painted. Does primer protect from rust. A few years ago I had an xj rust on the driver side door hinge and fall off local shops said that was typical. Switching to hard top soon any areas to monitor as I feel leaks are limited to the hard top only... For now
Old 10-11-2011, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry ment soft top only
Old 10-11-2011, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I brought my jk11 in for the soft top recall the other week, I noticed on the work order that the dealer also performed another recall regarding weather stripping for leaks.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dayman
So today after work noticed leaks coming from both drivers side and passengers side on my soft top. Steady rain today and leakage is minimal limited to on the doors. Instinct is no fret I'm not sitting in water and I kinda expected this as the soft top has a lot of opportunity for water travel. So my question is, am I all good or do I worry about any internal rust... ie door internals, remind you leaking is minimal. First leaks noticed every thing seem sealed as usual just believe it has been the amount of wind and rain
Are the plastic pieces in the channel along the top of the doors? There's a channel like the one for the back windows along the door frame that they tuck into. Seems strange that it's both sides at once if its something else.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah checked that they are in. Seems like it's getting in through gaps in the weather stripping seems to gap a bunch when the door is shut. I am going to re check the header fit when the rain let's up.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dayman
Sorry ment soft top only
I put my hard top on and now have leak on drivers side. Removed front drivers side carpet and sprayed with hose to try and find leak but no luck! Yet.

Quick Reply: Rain and leaks