Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rain Gutter Roof Rack

Old 08-27-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Gutter Roof Rack

Does anyone use them on their hardtop? I am looking for a way to haul my fishing kayak. Would prefer to use a rain gutter system. Not really digging the body armor racks that look like a roll cage. Any info would be appreciated. Looking at Thule but it appears Smittybuilt makes a bracket that I can put a full rack on top. Which I have one of those that I swapped a hitch rack for.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rain gutter roof rack

When I was looking at racks for my canoe, the Yakima rep I talked to said that they wouldn't recommend using a rain gutter rack on JKs for anything other than skis and snowboards.

So I went with a Yakima setup ( I already had some Yakima bars, gunnel brackets etc.) using their foot pads that are attached through the hard top. I've been happy with it.

Others on the forum say they've used rain gutter racks with no problems, so...
Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rain gutter roof rack

I have traveled over 2000km this summer with my kayak on the roof. Over 400km of that is on logging roads at up to 80km/h. I have not had a single issue. Sometimes in high wind gusts at highway speeds (usually on high mountain passes) the front part will creak a little but its a rarity. Just don't put more than 150lbs on it and your fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02399.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	573194
Old 08-27-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. Not sure I like the idea of all that weight on those lips considering the freedom top/hard top is not steel. I am guessing there is a pretty good wind load when traveling down the interstate. I may look into the Yakima A1 that attaches the tracks to the hardtop. I would of courwe still secure the bow and stearn as well.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Default Here is my take

I have one of the larger Thule cargo boxes mounted to Thule bars with the rain gutter foot pack. Have used on a lot ski trips with no problems. Then.....the wife took the Jeep to work and tried parking in the under ground garage. Blew 9 inch holes out of both sides of the box and probably compressed it 6 inches...making it into the garage and all. The box stayed mounted on the bars and the rain gutters are still fine and carrying the box.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I've carried my sit-on-top kayak on a rain gutter mounted Thule rack with no problems. I tie down the bow of the kayak to the loop on the hood and the rear to my spare tire, and that keeps the kayak in proper alignment (plus reduces the chance it will blow off if one of the straps on the racks break).
I seriously doubt that a kayak is too much weight for the rain gutter mounted racks.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone had damage to the paint

Quick Reply: Rain Gutter Roof Rack