Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Radiator fan issue

Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan issue

Hey all,
So my radiator fan periodically stays running at the high speed after I kill the engine. I have to pop the hood and unplug the wire harness until the next time I start up the jeep. Could it be a coolant temp sensor issue or something similar?
Also my fan runs at the high speed often even if my a/c or defrost is off.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The fan's high speed relay is located near the left headlight, (driver's side). If the points are burned it can stick closed. This will route 12v to the fan, directly from the battery bus.

Next time the fan stays on, tap that relay and see if the fan stops.

Another possibility is the TIPM is keeping the high speed relay energized. Troubleshooting that will require the dealer scan tool, which can monitor the TIPM's output to the relay.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-23-2015 at 03:01 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The fan's high speed relay is located near the left headlight, (driver's side). If the points are burned it can stick closed. This will route 12v to the fan, directly from the battery bus. Next time the fan stays on, tap that relay and see if the fan stops. Another possibility is the TIPM is keeping the high speed relay energized. Troubleshooting that will require the dealer scan tool, which can monitor the TIPM's output to the relay.
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.
If the relay points are burned can I just replace the relay? Or is there more too it than that
Old 10-23-2015, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverRubi
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions.
If the relay points are burned can I just replace the relay? Or is there more too it than that
You can replace the relay if it's bad.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm having quite the opposite problem. My radiator fan will not come on at all. At operating temps or with the A/C on. I have sent to the dealership and the said it was the module on the radiator fan. This is in fact not the case because I bought a fan from them which has the module built in. Same issue. I get constant power and ground to fan. It just never kicks on. Is this a TIPM issue as well. I have checked the relay in the fuse box and it is good.

Last edited by MarkjPlyler; 12-09-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was having the same issue of it not coming on leading the jeep to overheat. The dealership replaced my tipm about a month ago. Everything was good till today when while driving, the radio cut off for a second then came back on along with a cel. The code popped up as p0480. But the kicker is the fan was still running and continues to operate normally.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkjPlyler
I'm having quite the opposite problem. My radiator fan will not come on at all. At operating temps or with the A/C on. I have sent to the dealership and the said it was the module on the radiator fan. This is in fact not the case because I bought a fan from them which has the module built in. Same issue. I get constant power and ground to fan. It just never kicks on. Is this a TIPM issue as well. I have checked the relay in the fuse box and it is good.
I'm confused. You are getting 12v to the the plug that goes into the fan motor? If you're getting 12v to the plug for the fan motor, then it's the fan motor. If it were the TIPM or the the high-speed relay, then you wouldn't get anything at the plug (or at the voltage divider).
Old 12-13-2015, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

What does TIPM stand for?
Old 12-13-2015, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by VancouverRubi
What does TIPM stand for?
Totally Integrated Programmable Module. Or something like that. Basically it is your fuse and relay box and part of the Jeep's computer system rolled into one pricey box.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg

I'm confused. You are getting 12v to the the plug that goes into the fan motor? If you're getting 12v to the plug for the fan motor, then it's the fan motor. If it were the TIPM or the the high-speed relay, then you wouldn't get anything at the plug (or at the voltage divider).
Well my jeeps been at the dealership for a week now. They had the "engineers" from Chrysler out there. Come to find out it is the TIPM. Since they mis diagnosed the problem and I purchased the fan they agreed to order the TIPM and install at no charge. So that's good. But now I have two perfectly good radiator fans.

Quick Reply: Radiator fan issue