Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Questions on stock equipment, about to buy a new JK

Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up my '11 Sport S 2-Dr in May of '14. I got it used, but only had 10k miles, so practically brand new! With that said, I couldn't be as picky on what options I got as much budget was a bit limited at the time, and I wanted a vehicle that was gonna last me a while, and this was my dream vehicle. After having had it for almost two years now, and in that time having multiple drives to Oklahoma and Back to Michigan, as well as some intense storm chases, I feel I can give some good opinions on my experiences.

1. If you think you would ever want a hard top, definitely get it from factory, as adding a soft top is much easier than adding a hard top. (And for me, hard top was a must for storm chasing and the winter months in Michigan.) My Jeep came solely with the hard top and I added the Trektop NX later for summer months and could not be happier with that setup.

2. Seat heaters are extremely nice to have, but that dang heater in my Jeep gets the inside cookin' in about 3 minutes and then I am turning the vents back on to blow cold air, so I don't know how much you would use them, but I do not have them so I can not speak from experience. (However, an option I would extremely like have, especially for the winter months, is the Automatic Temperature Control, because I could finally stop messing around with the temperature knobs all the time.)

3. MPG-wise, On my long highway drives with not too much headwind and driving around 70-75 MPH, I have gotten as high as 22-23 MPG, but on average I get around 20-21 in those conditions on the stock rims and 255/75/R17 SR-A's. In my normal commute driving, i usually get around 18-19 MPG, and when I drive a bit more aggressive or have slow/extremely stop and go traffic I get to around 16-17 MPGs. Now, this is a bit different though than some of the guys on here as Most it seemed like had the JKU and mine is just the 2Dr, but this is also with the older-gen 3.8L V6.

4. With regards to navigation, I had the higher end base stock radio in the Jeep when I got it, and a Garmin Nuvi in the window. I quickly got tired of the Garmin in the window as the windshield is small enough as it is on a Jeep, and I wanted a more secure option and factory look as I use navigation constantly, and I need my phone free for other things like radar maps and such. Jeep will not install it from the factory, but I upgraded my radio to the 730N/RHR model, and couldn't be happier! And I especially love the option to show split screen with map and radio controls. I picked that up for much cheaper than the price would have been from the factory, and it was plug and play. I also extremely liked having the bluetooth functions so not having to mess with holding a phone if needed, and that only needed the microphone run then. With all that said, If you want navigation, I would recommend getting the base radio and swapping it as in the end you could do it for much cheaper, but to each their own. The major feature to consider form that option though is if you want the Uconnect features/Bluetooth functions for you Jeep. You can get these functions from the "Connectivity group" I believe it is called, and you can get this on a lower model radio as well. This package also gives you the extra buttons on the left hand side of the steering wheel, and the Premium instrument cluster with EVIC. Those features are what I would have liked to have very much for my Jeep, so take those into considoration before deciding on the navigation for you, because in most cases, if you want those, you may get the navigation by default.

Ask anything else ya may need, will be here!
Old 02-03-2016, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy vehicles new anymore, just not worth paying that top dollar and if you have time you can eventually find a great deal and with at least some of the options you want. The other things can be added since Jeeps are easy to work on.
I bought two 2013's JK 2 doors this past year one for me and the other is my daughters. Originally was looking at the hardtop but wound up with both being soft tops and love the ability to drop them down any time any where. I suggest getting the premium soft top since its a tad bit quieter, tougher and better looking. May get a hard top sometime if I find a steel but not sure and with the soft top I just don't lock the jeep.
Don't have nav in mine but put one in my daughters (parent comfort factor) and I don't miss having one as I now use Co Pilot on my Ipad & Iphone which is a gps based system. Don't use google maps, apple maps or waze if you care about data usage they all work with cell data.
On the rear sub it depends on if you value the space back there and I couldn't imagine using it up with a two door. Honestly you can put in a better aftermarket system that will sound better even without a sub.
Highway mileage for me is around 19-20 at 70-75 mph and really miss my Genesis 5.0 V8 that got 26-27 mpg at 75-80. Have a 6spd, 3:73 gears and 32's so local combined driving is 17-18 as long as your not heavy footed. 4:10's should net you 16-17.
Heated seats can be added if you need them with a few kits available and since I have cloth seats I don't need them. Getting leather seats then get the seat heaters.

Quick Reply: Questions on stock equipment, about to buy a new JK