Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question regarding tires on my JK..

Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warvuk
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with bfg, just there are many factors to consider when buying a tire. You have to look at what your needs are, don't just buy a tire because of price.
you are correct in that...just like I should not because they look good? NAH..these are Jeeps! LOL
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YJ207JK
That's what I paid for all 5 of my BFGs. Buying Michelin made BFGoodrich tires is not cheaping out by any means. You should certainly buy what you want and budget affords, I believe you will be happy with either choice.

If it's a toss up; you could get the BFGs and spend the $300 you save on............anything you want.
haven't fully priced out the BFG'S but I am thinking they will run a couple of hundred bucks less for the 4. Not sure I will buy the spare as I have a perfectly good Stock spare sitting on the back of the Jeep still....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redsfan

haven't fully priced out the BFG'S but I am thinking they will run a couple of hundred bucks less for the 4. Not sure I will buy the spare as I have a perfectly good Stock spare sitting on the back of the Jeep still....
Buy 5 and rotate it in, 20% more tread life on your investment and it looks way better having a matching spare hanging on your ass!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KDBinAZ

Buy 5 and rotate it in, 20% more tread life on your investment and it looks way better having a matching spare hanging on your ass!
I agree.....plus it drives the wife crazy...lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1655206257.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	280969  
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KDBinAZ
wife is gonna kill me if I buy 4 you guys want me to buy 5 and rotate them in? She will tell me to rotate if I do that!
It will look a bit odd let alone my spare will be a different size altogether! I didn't even take the spare into account, sheesh
Old 02-22-2012, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redsfan

wife is gonna kill me if I buy 4 you guys want me to buy 5 and rotate them in? She will tell me to rotate if I do that!
It will look a bit odd let alone my spare will be a different size altogether! I didn't even take the spare into account, sheesh
Whatever you do; don't tell your wife you could have gotten another year out of your factory tires if you had rotated in the spare :-) Buying all five new tires in this case is purely a style thing. The diameter of the stock spare will be the same as the new tires so your Stability Control will not freak out in the event you need to use it. No worries.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:11 AM
JK Newbie

Tell her its a safety issue having a different size tire as a spare. Or tell her they were running a special....buy 4 get 1 free! Lie and deny
Old 02-22-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Whatever you do; don't tell your wife you could have gotten another year out of your factory tires if you had rotated in the spare :-) Buying all five new tires in this case is purely a style thing. The diameter of the stock spare will be the same as the new tires so your Stability Control will not freak out in the event you need to use it. No worries.
ah, but yes you are right again! Priced out both tires again today and same size BFG and Duratrac come out to about $25 difference only in price. Still expensive but that is the price we pay for 18's...guy on the phone did tell me though that some people have issues with the BFG's getting a bit hard after a year or so, and complaints about wet traction have come up. Not sure this is true though
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=warvuk;2863792]Tell her its a safety issue having a different size tire as a spare. Or tell her they were running a special....buy 4 get 1 free! Lie and deny[/QUOTE

she is okay with it either way I think..I had a bad rollover on the highway near us about 7 years ago in an old Suzuki Small SUV and was lucky to walk away. She knows I am still paranoid so a good tire she is okay with.....
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess you haven't had these things in the snow yet have ya? LOL

Quick Reply: Question regarding tires on my JK..