Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question regarding tires on my JK..

Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaisoboy

Can you post a pic of a side view?
I will ASAP.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redsfan
If I was to poll you guys: I am using these for every day driving only, so should I go with:

Duratracs: try the 275/65/18
BFG: Rugged Terrain T/A- 255/70/18-stock size

I would like to go wider on the BFG's, but again I prefer to not have to add the expense of the spacers....I assume if I go wider I will have to
You will not need spacers with the 275/65/18 BFGs.
PS The Rugged Terrains are much better than the Rugged Trails in every way.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aaronstephen

How is this tire in snow/mud?
This is not a mud tire. BFG has some great choices for mud, but this tire is truly a street tire with an offroad look. It is awesome in flash flood conditions and light trail running but not heavy mud. We have had zero snow this year in TN so the jury is still out.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YJ207JK
You will not need spacers with the 275/65/18 BFGs.
PS The Rugged Terrains are much better than the Rugged Trails in every way.
exactly, as these are what you are running. There should not be a difference than if I run the 275/65/18 in the Duratrac either, so undecided which to go with. That being said I can go stock size with the BFG'S as well, you would go bigger/wider still? Will the width not affect more slippage in snow?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Reds, I'm going through this exact decision process right now, 2010 sahara w/18s. Look at all my options between wheels/tires with duratracs coming out on top each time. I'm just finding the price of duratracs on 18s to be pretty high. The only difference between our jeeps is a 2" lift. Good luck with your decision. Post pics when you decide. I'm still a couple months off from making my decision.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 AM
JK Newbie

exactly, as these are what you are running. There should not be a difference than if I run the 275/65/18 in the Duratrac either, so undecided which to go with. That being said I can go stock size with the BFG'S as well, you would go bigger/wider still? Will the width not affect more slippage in snow?
This is a small difference in width. Less than an inch. They just look better but still are inside the fenders so the tires don't sling water/mud/grime all over the Jeep. The extra width negatively effecting snow performance is not something I am aware of. Personal preference at the end of the day.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YJ207JK
This is a small difference in width. Less than an inch. They just look better but still are inside the fenders so the tires don't sling water/mud/grime all over the Jeep. The extra width negatively effecting snow performance is not something I am aware of. Personal preference at the end of the day.
the more I look at your pics the more I think these can work for me! They are a bit cheaper than the Duratrac's as well, and no spacers helps out. Not much snow here either this Winter..but my stock tires suck and almost done. If I can price the Dura's to be close in the 275/65's may do those, if not the BFG's look good. Pretty good reviews on them too. A few bad ones in snow, and some great ones so who knows!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

what tires?
Falken rocky mountains!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 10JKUsah
Reds, I'm going through this exact decision process right now, 2010 sahara w/18s. Look at all my options between wheels/tires with duratracs coming out on top each time. I'm just finding the price of duratracs on 18s to be pretty high. The only difference between our jeeps is a 2" lift. Good luck with your decision. Post pics when you decide. I'm still a couple months off from making my decision.
the Duratrac's look to have great reviews yes. They seem to be about 50 bucks a tire more here as well, and not sure if it will be worth it. I will lean on the 275/65/18 route I think as it looks like it will be fine for me. Love the more aggressive look of the BFG's and performance seems to be fine as well. I like you am a few months away from replacement but always like to shop around and be aware. I have about 125,000 kilometres on my Jeep which isn't bad really but they are balding somewhat quick, and the Summer will probably take care of them!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Newbie

Don't skimp on your tire choice, an extra 200 might be well worth it. There are many variables when it comes to tires like noise, how stiff the tire is and traction. Our Jeeps are a lot lighter than most 4x4s so there are some tires that are made for heavier trucks. I myself feel the duratracs are a great choice for our jk

Quick Reply: Question regarding tires on my JK..