Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question on rear brakes

Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on rear brakes

I noticed when I rotated my tires last weekend that the rear wheels have significantly more brake dust than the front wheels, I also notice this when I wash my Jeep.

In all of my years with cars and trucks, my experience is that the front wheels are the ones that get the most brake dust, even my Expedition with 4 wheel disk brakes got it worse in the front.

Could there be something wrong with my rear brakes? maybe the emergency brake is still partly engaged? (the lever is all the way down) how else can I check this?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by holy_crap
I noticed when I rotated my tires last weekend that the rear wheels have significantly more brake dust than the front wheels, I also notice this when I wash my Jeep.

In all of my years with cars and trucks, my experience is that the front wheels are the ones that get the most brake dust, even my Expedition with 4 wheel disk brakes got it worse in the front.

Could there be something wrong with my rear brakes? maybe the emergency brake is still partly engaged? (the lever is all the way down) how else can I check this?
This animal uses the rear breaks faster than the front. Thank You ESP
P.S. Your E-brake doesn't use the disk pads.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 02-16-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

The E-brake is inside the disc assembly, you need to remove the disc to inspect it. If you have been in the mud or water they may need to be cleaned up, possibly stuck that would make dust if they are rubbing.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MountainJK
The E-brake is inside the disc assembly, you need to remove the disc to inspect it. If you have been in the mud or water they may need to be cleaned up, possibly stuck that would make dust if they are rubbing.
So I need to remove the caliper and the disk? Any one know if there is a writeup on doing that? I imagine if there is rubbing, that it would affect my MPG's as well.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by holy_crap
So I need to remove the caliper and the disk? Any one know if there is a writeup on doing that? I imagine if there is rubbing, that it would affect my MPG's as well.
Only depending on how stuck they are. Easy way to check, lift up the back end of the jeep, and see if the wheel turns harder on one side than the other. I'm only talking about the first couple inches of movement before the driveline starts turning. If one of the E brakes is stuck on, the wheel will be hard to turn and won't have that slop in it, if you know what I', referring too. Hopefully you do.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

I meant it would MPG's depending on how stuck they were.

Quick Reply: Question on rear brakes