Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question for Owners of 6 Speed Diesel JKs

Old 11-02-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for Owners of 6 Speed Diesel JKs

I have been looking into the possibility of doing a diesel swap for my 6-speed JK. I'm not interested in anything crazy, just swapping in the 2.8 VM Motori engine that comes stock in some wranglers from outside the U.S. I was wondering if those of you with the 6 speed diesel wranglers could measure the bolt pattern on the back of the engine going to the bell housing for me. With the 3.8 and the 6-speed my bell housing has bolts spaced fairly equal distance apart at about 4 inches apart (at least on the easily measured bottom half) and the whole thing is about 16 inches diameter.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2009, 03:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to be a buzz kill, but in the states I believe none of us JK owners have a diesel -- emissions laws and because it hasn't been made for US JK's. I know the J8 -- the one for the military -- has a diesel. Trust me, if one us had a diesel that thread would be a sticky and I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25% of us converted ASAP to diesel.

Ask this question around the Xtreme JK thread, those guys are always talking about engine modifications and hemi swaps and turbos.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

You will not believe what I just came across after responding to your thread...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/okay-i-have-diesel-jk-107183/
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

No problem on the buzzkill, the more info the better I'm not planning on doing anything right away (still collecting info and don't have the money yet) but the way I understand it is that DC cant sell the diesels due to emissions laws (same reason we don't have hemi JKs).

However if the owner modifies it and pays for an emissions exemption sticker (at least in PA) you can run a non-stock engine. Who says the dumbass hippy government won't sell out the environment for a few extra bucks
Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tpm152
No problem on the buzzkill, the more info the better I'm not planning on doing anything right away (still collecting info and don't have the money yet) but the way I understand it is that DC cant sell the diesels due to emissions laws (same reason we don't have hemi JKs).

However if the owner modifies it and pays for an emissions exemption sticker (at least in PA) you can run a non-stock engine. Who says the dumbass hippy government won't sell out the environment for a few extra bucks
I just learned something, and good point. Man, I love PA -- family is from the city and Margate, New Jersey.

Good luck with your searching.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tpm152
I have been looking into the possibility of doing a diesel swap for my 6-speed JK. I'm not interested in anything crazy, just swapping in the 2.8 VM Motori engine that comes stock in some wranglers from outside the U.S. I was wondering if those of you with the 6 speed diesel wranglers could measure the bolt pattern on the back of the engine going to the bell housing for me. With the 3.8 and the 6-speed my bell housing has bolts spaced fairly equal distance apart at about 4 inches apart (at least on the easily measured bottom half) and the whole thing is about 16 inches diameter.

Thanks
You'd be better off by figuring out the differences in parts between CRD (sale code EN0) and V6 (sale code EG0) on MY08 JK parts list. From what I can see on it, the NSG370 housing is different for CRD (part #05159142AA) from V6 (part #68003580AA). Therefore, the bolt pattern for CRD ought to be different.

Too many factory parts for swap to OE diesel engine. If I were in your shoes, I'd see 2 ways for myself: 1) back to TJ and get available(?) in the US conversion kit (I read a lot about KJ CRD swap); 2) bring CRD JK from overseas (EU).

Last edited by EugeJK; 11-07-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:25 AM
JK Super Freak

with any luck we won't have to wait to long for a factory option, should give you time to save up the coin and then everything will be available. cant wait.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Someone mentioned to me that AEV do a conversion/kit for a diesel swap. Check out the ausjeepoffroad.com forum, heaps of crd JK's over here.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
I don't want to be a buzz kill, but in the states I believe none of us JK owners have a diesel -- emissions laws and because it hasn't been made for US JK's. I know the J8 -- the one for the military -- has a diesel. Trust me, if one us had a diesel that thread would be a sticky and I wouldn't be surprised if at least 25% of us converted ASAP to diesel.

Ask this question around the Xtreme JK thread, those guys are always talking about engine modifications and hemi swaps and turbos.
There are a few dudes on this forum who do not reside in the U.S. driving diesel JKs from the factory. If you guys didn't have such cheap gas, you'd probably be driving them, too
Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Diesel JK 6 Speed Manual

Hey Guys,
I've got a 6 speed turbo diesel JK in Australia. If the bolt pattern didnt mate up it would probably be just as cheap to buy a Diesel motor and gearbox from an Australian wrecker.

Quick Reply: Question for Owners of 6 Speed Diesel JKs