Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question for hard top guys

Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for hard top guys

So I've been looking into bikini style tops for the summer time just to keep the sun off my head, but before I buy anything I was wondering if it was ok to run just the front 2 pieces of the hard top without the rear section. They mount on ok and seem pretty solid, but is it safe to do that at freeway speed without them flexing and cracking or possibly flying off?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It works well. It looks pretty sweet on the two door models and is functional on both four and two door versions. Just place the paneling on as if the rare hardtop was on. Should work out pretty well for you.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScubaDude
It works well. It looks pretty sweet on the two door models and is functional on both four and two door versions. Just place the paneling on as if the rare hardtop was on. Should work out pretty well for you.
Sorry didn't read your whole post got excited I guess... I've only done it off road. I've never tried highway speeds but I can't imagine it going badly.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes completely fine to run just the front freedom panels.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk-tony
So I've been looking into bikini style tops for the summer time just to keep the sun off my head, but before I buy anything I was wondering if it was ok to run just the front 2 pieces of the hard top without the rear section. They mount on ok and seem pretty solid, but is it safe to do that at freeway speed without them flexing and cracking or possibly flying off?
The freedom top was designed to run this configuration. Just remember to flip the black spacers in to the down position on both panels before tightening down the panels. I run my two door like this often and at any speed.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Just saved me $120 for the header Chanel and bikini top! Thanks guys! And I like that they are referred to as "freedom" panels. Makes it seem more bad ass for some reason lol.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YJ207JK

The freedom top was designed to run this configuration. Just remember to flip the black spacers in to the down position on both panels before tightening down the panels. I run my two door like this often and at any speed.
Huh? What spacers?
Old 03-04-2012, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Just make sure you pull out the plastic "foot" at the rear of each panel. This levels the panel as well as prevents busting the panel when you screw in the hand bolt. I have driven many times down the highway in this configuration with no problem; it designed for that.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

just make sure you install the screws into the freedom panels and you should be fine. mine was in that config for three months last summer and i drive highway speeds every day.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by top down romp around
Just make sure you pull out the plastic "foot" at the rear of each panel. This levels the panel as well as prevents busting the panel when you screw in the hand bolt. I have driven many times down the highway in this configuration with no problem; it designed for that.
Cool, thanks fellas!!

Quick Reply: Question for hard top guys