Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question about stock Bridgestone Dueler cornering and rollover - First Post!

Old 08-04-2015, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about stock Bridgestone Dueler cornering and rollover - First Post!

Hi All.
I'm a long time reader and first time poster. I didn't want to ask this until I had thoroughly researched the forum, but I haven't found any obvious answers.

I'm a new Jeep owner (Bought a 2014 JKUS in April) and it's got the Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. I am planning on upgrading to Duratracks when I can afford to, but for now I notice that when I'm at factory pressure (38psi approximately) I seem to get a lot of sidewall rollover when turning. The tire shows a black line almost all the way to the lettering. I can't imagine this would get better at lower pressures?

I don't corner hard, and I know I'm not driving a WRX or anything, but should I be concerned? If I corner a little harder are these things going to fold? (Can't imagine this is the case or else I'd see posts about it)

Just curious if anyone has experience with this and if there is any cause for concern.

Great forum! Great information! Thanks.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Stupid question? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Bridgestone Duelers

They came stock on my 2012 JKU Sahara. I consider them to be one of the best "AT" tires I have owned when it came to on-road performance. They were fair in sand and mild rocks, but sucked the big one in even shallow mud. I really can't tell you how bad they are in mild mud or even slime. That all being said, the reason to trade-up isn't going to be on-road performance. Most likely, at this point, it's because you would like more aggressive looking tires, and if you take your JKUS off road, that will add to your case for new tires.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Yes they are the stock tires that came with the rig. I realize I won't get any better on-road performance with most other tires, and I'm not actually looking for more on-road performance anyway.

I do see a lot of folks cornering harder than me so just wondered if these tires were known to be bad for rolling. I think I'd have to slow down to a walking pace to keep this from happening!

Do you Duratrac owners experience bad rollover on the road as well?
Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm not calling you a liar but it's impossible to have that much air in those tires and literally "roll" it all the way over to the lettering. There is something else going on and you may not even notice it. If I were you, I'd take it to a tire shop and ask them to check out your wear pattern to see what insight they may offer.

Can you post a picture here? We're literally talking about inches of tire "rolling" over. I'd like to see for myself and see if I can offer any help.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bet cash money it's from rubbing on the curb
Swish
Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

I don't park near any curbs at work or home and to the best of my knowledge haven't driven over anything lately. Haven't been off-road at all in the last 2 months either. I have, on occasion, taken a few corners a bit aggressively and am very aware that the Jeep has gone past it's optimum traction and is "rolling" the tires, or at least it feels like that. And you're right the black mark is a couple of inches of sidewall. I'll grab some pics when I can a little later on and show you what I mean. I figured this would be common on the offroad tires and more so at low pressure, but these things are definitely topped way up. Maybe it's just a tire flex thing?

Also, I'm relying on the TPMS readings from the dash. I should double check with a gauge at the wheels to verify that I am actually getting accurate readings. Will check.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:20 AM
JK Newbie

Here are some pics showing the tire pressure and the rings I'm talking about. I spoke with my mechanic this morning and he said it was typical of high sided tires like this. I think the sidewall profile also contributes - it tapers considerably at the tread making it easier to roll over. Seems it also creates a ring at the rim/tire bead as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0338.JPG
Views:	868
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	620706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.JPG
Views:	955
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	620707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	1001
Size:	3.07 MB
ID:	620708  
Old 08-07-2015, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You're certainly not curbing them but it's also not the "roll" that you think either. The scuff marks on the edge of the tread is the furthest that you're scrubbing these tires on the road. From the looks of the remnants, I would bet that there is some form of tire protectant on the sidewall where it appears dirtier. The center of the tire being the same as that outside edge leads me this direction along with the dust on the wheels. My tires get a similar look after running them through the sand all day.

So you were wondering about stiffer sidewalls on the duratracs and it may be possible to find them but moving to a stiffer sidewall will change the characteristic of your ride. I'm on E rated tires and there is absolutely a difference from my previous C rated tires. The duratracs should net you a similar ride to factory but with added traction. A wider tire and/ or wheel spacers will help your cornering stability.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:49 AM
JK Newbie

Man, I really have to reduce those picture sizes before I post them!

Quick Reply: Question about stock Bridgestone Dueler cornering and rollover - First Post!