Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question about door panels

Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about door panels

So I have a question. I've done a search, and couldn't turn anything up that completely answered my question. The handle on the inside of my driver side door's cable snapped, so I asked the dealer on how one takes off the door panel. What they said was that you take out the screws and then rip out the plugs, so that upon re-install, you have to replace the plugs. They also told me they were $12 each. Here's the thing though, I've seen alot of you post on taking apart the doors and nothing about replacing the plugs, so my question is were they lying, are there any plugs that MUST be replaced upon re-install. I got them to fix the door handle under warranty (with 2 days left on it), but purchaced online a power lock kit, so I'd have to take the panels back off to install that (no way im paying dealership to do that. So yeah, do I have to replace the plugs when I re-install the door panel? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every door panel I have ever removed had tapered plastic plugs on the back side of the panel that fastened into holes on the door. Sometimes those plugs break upon removal, but usually you can pry them out in one piece.

I wouldn't suspect Jeep of all companies spent a lot of engineering effort to design better or cheaper fasteners. For $12 and probably less online just go for it.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Just use a panel removal tool. Put some tape around the tool so it wont scratch the paint on the door. Then pry outward after removing the screws. The clips do break from time to time, but just tackle that once its off.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks, yeah the way I figure it; dealer price is probably way more than if I were to go to a car parts store even and just get some generic ones. I doubt the plugs are that special. Oh well, thanks for the advice, since I already ordered the power lock kit, I'll be going ahead with this anyway, just wanted to know before I started.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to get the panel off without the tool, just a flat screw driver and careful pulling. Make sure you read the post about how to get the inner panel off, and I'd add to the post, to make sure you take out the door latch assemby screws before attempting to take out the inner panel. I may be able to post some pix this weekend. The entire inner panel is supposed to come off as one assembly. Inner panel, window mechanisim w/o window attached and door lock.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Hi all,
I just had to get into my door and I wanted to add something for you guys that are going to run into the panel removal. Once you have the pretty panel off, like others have said, make sure you take off the three screws by the latch, and the nut behind the rubber plug. Careful you don't drop that sucker! I used a ratchet and then a really long pair of needle nose for the last bit.

Once this is done (assuming you've taking out the other gazillion screws that encirlcle the panel), the whole inner panel will be loose, but will appear to be bolted onto something from the inside. You'll see two screws that seem to support this suspicion. It's not the case, fear not. What you will run into is that those two screws hold a track of sorts on the inside of the panel that is longer than the door hole is tall. You do not have to remove the screws around the window handle assembly.

The inner panel has to be turned a little bit to get them to go slightly diagonal...then the thing will just pop right out. Takes no force at all, just the proper jiggling and positioning. Once you get it once, the door panel is a 10 minute proposition on or off.

Hope this saves someone!

-= Beer

Oh, and two tools everyone talks about are totally worth it. I got them both for about 10 bucks. One is for the window handle clip, and the other one is for popping off the panels without breaking all the little plastic body mount thingies.

Quick Reply: Question about door panels