Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Question about 4x4 vs. 4x2

Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even in 4wd, you only have two wheels getting power, unless you're locked. you will have one front wheel, and one rear wheel spinning. with a 4x2, you essentially have an '82 buick.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by degenerate
even in 4wd, you only have two wheels getting power, unless you're locked. you will have one front wheel, and one rear wheel spinning. with a 4x2, you essentially have an '82 buick.
not exactly the best description in the world, but loosely true.
Disconnecting the swaybar will get you into more places than possible otherwise.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the answers here sum it up pretty well-- but just to put it in really simple terms...

You have a 4x4!

True, when you are not shifted into 4 hi or 4 low, you are only using 2 (rear) wheel drive. But the fact that you have a transfer case which can be shifted into 4-wheel drive means that you in fact have a 4x4-- not a 4x2. The 4x2 does not have a transfer case and cannot be shifted into 4wd. And, there are no full time 4WD or AWD JK Wranglers.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Aha thats what was confusing me. I thought there were fulltime 4wd JK's. I know you can pick 4x4 or 4x2 and I was confused, why would someone pick a 4x2 and have a transfer case put in.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

You cannot buy a 4x2 and converte it to a 4x4 with just a transfer case... you would have to add a front axle and drive shaft. However, it should not be too hard to covernt a 4x2 to a 4x4 as it is design to support a front axle.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
You cannot buy a 4x2 and converte it to a 4x4 with just a transfer case... you would have to add a front axle and drive shaft. However, it should not be too hard to covernt a 4x2 to a 4x4 as it is design to support a front axle.
I was curious if a 4x2 could be "converted". Sounds like it probably isn't worth the expense.

I have the 4x2 and since I'm not really a "trail-guy" I probably got the right vehicle for me. Of course, I'm constantly on edge about it, and jealous when I see the various lifted and customized Jeeps. (I mean - why would I lift a 4x2?)

I think i'm the only guy on this forum who has (or admits to having) a 4x2. :sad:
Old 05-25-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brettzky-JK757
I was curious if a 4x2 could be "converted". Sounds like it probably isn't worth the expense.

I have the 4x2 and since I'm not really a "trail-guy" I probably got the right vehicle for me. Of course, I'm constantly on edge about it, and jealous when I see the various lifted and customized Jeeps. (I mean - why would I lift a 4x2?)

I think i'm the only guy on this forum who has (or admits to having) a 4x2. :sad:

having a 4x2 just means you have to drive better then the 4x4 guys.for years i had 4x2 pick-ups and keep-ed up with Friends in 4x4s.thinking vs 4 lo.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

just to dig this one back up....

actually, i converted my ZJ to 4wd. It was a 2wd Laredo SE when I bought it.... but now resides on top of 5.5" of lift, 33's and a plethora of other parts.

To convert a JK to 4wd, you'd have to change the tranny... the 2wd and 4wd use different tail housing. (if you disassemble the tranny you could install another tailshaft and tailhousing.. blah-blah) Also, then the t-case, driveshafts(front&rear) and the front axle. Then ya gotta cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, any linkage mounting points... make adjustments to wiring harness(es) as required....

it is not something for the faint of heart. BUT... if you have the knowlege and access to the parts, it is not impossible. The problem here is how new the JK is and all of its parts. nothing is cheap.

The ZJ, however used parts that are common to other Jeeps. The TJ, XJ and ZJ all have the same basic front suspension.

When "new to me"...

Now:

The conversion is pretty common for older XJ owners looking for a good chassis to trick out with custom axles... you know... incase you have an old pair of FS Bronco axles laying around... (d44, 9")

Last edited by b1pig; 05-27-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:18 PM
JK Freak

No reason you can't lift a 4x2. Ground clearance is always a good thing and larger tires with a more aggressive tread will help also.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

No your not the only one that admits to having a 4X2. I got one and love it. You got to remember that it is still a jeep. you just can't tear it up as much as a 4X4.

Quick Reply: Question about 4x4 vs. 4x2