Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Quality of 3.8L V6 Components

Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay Kay
So glad I came across this thread...
me not happy neither...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got thre Jeep back from the Dealer after and Oil Change and tire rotation.

Well, next day I got the Dry Start again. I have tested K&N,Mobil1,Mopar and Fram oil Filters and I was geting the dry start.

I had it. This is not an Oil Filter isssue with a Bad Anti Drain Valve. This to me is a VISCOCITY Oil issue.

I added a STP oil treatment to the engine and the Dry Starts STOP.

That is food for thougth.

Why did the dry start stop? VISCOCITY

Maybe the Oil Filter Valve is able to seal properly with the STP oil treatment.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run 5w-30 now and have no more dry starts. YRMV

Flash
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Damn-

kinda makes me have second thoughts about getting another JK (unlimited rubi) next month.

My 2008 X (27K on the ODO) has been pretty solid since I drove it off the lot. Minor problems here and there but fixed it on my own....mostly under-torqued or re-torquing a bolt or two.

I do take everything I read on the internet with a grain of salt, cause it is a place to serve to vent with problems....not too many of us comes and posts how fantastic things are going.

But I have been reading a awful lot of horror stories about their JK's.

I wish Chrysler/Fiat would sell off the Jeep brand to someone who will take care of it properly....but unfortunately, it's the only brand that does anything for the Corporation, so my guess it's staying put.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The issue of viscosity came up recently on the local forum where I am, and it turns out after an informal poll that most dealers here use 10w30 oil during service (hot climate here with temps rarely below freezing, so 5w20 is not even available off the shelf) with the full knowledge of Chrysler; the rest use 5w30 but oil this thin here is always fully synthetic, designed for racing & performance vehicles, and very expensive.

Seems Chrysler and other US auto makers now specify the thin, low anti-wear additive oil in the US purely to meet the federal CAFE mileage & emmissions targets (anti-wear additives hurt the cats apparantly so they've stopped putting them in these thin "fuel economy" oils to attain API certification), even though increased engine wear and premature component failure is a well known and documented side effect.

Last edited by JKlad; 02-09-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Quality of 3.8L V6 Components