Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Quality of 3.8L V6 Components

Old 11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quality of 3.8L V6 Components

There's been quite a few threads here on the forum recently discussing the quality of Chrysler's parts and manufacturing processes for the 3.8L V6, particularly as an increasing number of people are experiencing unexplained failures due to spun bearings and thrown rods (unexplained as in maintenance routines and oil service intervals have been adhered to, and many of the motors have been babied by the owners from new, so operator abuse/misuse can be ruled out) as well as substandard quality (and even incorrect assembly) of other components; cracking exhaust manifolds, leaking timing covers, pistons with their rings installed the wrong way, etc.

Many of the original Chrysler engineers who worked on the design of the motor originally are scratching their heads as well as the motor was of sound and simple design and for many years gave no trouble whatsoever and withstood considerable abuse in their application as a minivan motor, earning a reputation as reliable and unbreakable. I've quoted an autoworker below who worked at the Trenton engine plant and he gives some insight into why the quality of the motors appears to have suddenly gone down in recent years following the Chrysler's merger with Daimler, with the shift to outsourcing of manufactured parts and assemblies being identified as the problem:

"When I arrived back at Trenton Engine in December 1999, the place was full of life and machines for making parts. I don't think there was any floor space left in the 2.1 million square foot building to add anything else. At that time they were making the 3.2L and 3.5L aluminum block V6 engines, the 3.3L and 3.8L V6 engines for the minivans, and the 1.8L (for export) and 2.0L Neon motors. They made all of the pistons, connecting rods, crankshafts, camshafts, blocks, cylinder heads, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds and water pumps for each of these motors plus some parts for the 318 and the 3.9L V6 that were assembled at Mound Road engine plant.

The process of outsourcing began around the beginning of 2000 [two years after the Daimler takeover]. The parts made in-house were held to a much higher quality standard then the ones they bought from the outside. One department after another was shut down and the machines were torn out and scrapped. There were new machines being unloaded from trucks for departments that were to be shut down within two weeks of their arrival. I guess once the ball got rolling to outsource there wasn't time to stop new equipment from being built and delivered. I think the new machinery ended up in the boneyard along with the rest of the scrap as Chrysler wasn't going to be making these parts at any of their other plants either. Some of the parts like connecting rods were going to be changed over to powdered metal so even the suppliers couldn't use the machines."

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/trenton-engine.html

Last edited by JKlad; 11-18-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking from experience:
In house machinists and fabricators are far superior to outsourced stuff. We have nothing but problems with our suppliers and are now in the process of bringing some large assemblies back under our roof.
I think one of the issues here in the outsource is that there is no pride in the final product. Those suppliers never see the final product and get none of the incentive to maintain a high quality level. They just have to meet quota and the minimum contractural obligations.

All Daimler corporate cares about is "lean manufacturing (6sigma BS)" and quailty suffers while profitibility goes up.
Right. Profitibility.
LOL
That worked out really well for them.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

i think we need less stuff marked made in china , it may be cheaper to by but the quality also shows the price we pay, i would venture to say that a lot of parts are made of shore.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

2011 engine died with 116 miles
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie1099
Ok, but why?
Old 11-18-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so the tranny catches fire, the suspension clunks and death wobbles due to cheap ball joints, rod ends and steering boxes, and now the engines are junk.

So the most reliable part of the Jeep is the tub.

F@ck Chrysler!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brownie1099
Do we have a comedian here? Please tell me your joking...

Last edited by FrankTheTank; 11-21-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Ok so the tranny catches fire, the suspension clunks and death wobbles due to cheap ball joints, rod ends and steering boxes, and now the engines are junk.

So the most reliable part of the Jeep is the tub.

F@ck Chrysler!
Tub aint even reliabe, with bubbling hinges and what not...

I would feel better about all of this shit if the dealerships would honor my warranty without trying to screw me over instead of owning up to it and repairing it.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

So glad I came across this thread...
Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

JK quality is NOT up to the previous models ... neither is Fiat service!

Quick Reply: Quality of 3.8L V6 Components