Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Put my soft top on today/yesterday, oh my lord what a PITA!!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beadbus
HERE IS A TRICK...
If you don't have the warm sun light to soften up the top and window panels, then use YOUR JEEP HEATER FULL BLAST...
When I purchased my Jeep and they installed the soft top at the dealership, the removed the Hard top and began to put on all the plastic rails, then they placed the top loose onto the vehicle and left the engine running for about 30-minutes on full blast HEATER. Once the top was warm, it seemed to fix it place nicely and the windows were soft and pliable and attached easily and zipped with no problem. Once on they told me to keep the Jeep in the direct sunlight for 2-3 days and all the wrinkles would go away and THEY DID.
The only thing I am still waitng for is the part number for the NEW steel header that eliminates the air noise.
I hope this helps.

Also I have tried the Best Tops Bimini Top and the fold over of material for my unlimited was
TERRIBLE AND when I called Bestop they were of NO HELP. Even the local 4x4 shop called Bestop and they provided no assistance and they GLADLY refunded my money. BEWARE lof the Besttop.......
that is interesting about heating the inside to loosen things up..the only thing I challenge though is that most problem are related to the outside..ie. zippers, and outside materials. How would interior heat help soften the outside?
Old 04-26-2009, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Those who mention doing this while it is warm are right... it helps the fabric stretch a little.
When I bought mine I asked another owner to show me how it is done, so we put up the top, down, off and sunrider open.
*** big caution, If you open the sunrider top, DO NOT leave all the rear windows in!!! i.e. open the back window... the reason is that air pressure at high speeds can tear it.
Good luck... it is a great top once you know the little tricks.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Newbie

Went through the ordeal yesterday. Who the hell came up with those star screws on the hard top??? Putting the soft top was a pain, like you guys said because it was the first time. Didn't know about the little latches on the sides and didn't know that the clamp can be extended took me a while of forcing it to realize they can extend. I seem to have gotten down the procedure for the whole thing, one problem that i have, just like Tuber posted, is with the side retainers on the quarter windows:

How can they be made to stay inside along the door and not pop out like this?

Last edited by NIVA; 04-26-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used a mallet and pounded those corners in. They stayed in but the fabric wrinkled.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIVA
Went through the ordeal yesterday. Who the hell came up with those star screws on the hard top??? Putting the soft top was a pain, like you guys said because it was the first time. Didn't know about the little latches on the sides and didn't know that the clamp can be extended took me a while of forcing it to realize they can extend. I seem to have gotten down the procedure for the whole thing, one problem that i have, just like Tuber posted, is with the side retainers on the quarter windows:

How can they be made to stay inside along the door and not pop out like this?
do you have your windows fully zipped when tucking in the sides? If so, that may make it tighter than you want and won't allow you to get it snug as needed...
Old 04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by redsfan
do you have your windows fully zipped when tucking in the sides? If so, that may make it tighter than you want and won't allow you to get it snug as needed...
I tried multiple ways, but it just seems there is nothing for the plastic pieces to hold on to on the car. Even if i get them to look normal with the doors closed, if i open and then close the door again they still stick out a bit. I'm very surprised jeep didnt make a similar mechanism for the vertical piece like there is for the bottom so you could latch it into something.

Quick Reply: Put my soft top on today/yesterday, oh my lord what a PITA!!